Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (MEL) Coordinator
- Khartoum, Sudan
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (MEL) Coordinator for our program in Sudan, which operates as the American Refugee Committee (ARC). You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Based in Khartoum with frequent travel to the field in East Darfur and South Darfur, the MEL Coordinator will bring energy, vision, and innovation to ensuring quality and accountability of our humanitarian and development programming in Sudan. The position will design a robust monitoring and evaluation framework that leverages data to ensure an evidence-based approach to program development, fostering an environment of organizational learning, improve project management and quality reporting and storytelling.
You’ll use your deep knowledge of MEL, together with your intellectual curiosity and creative thinking to envision a new way of designing MEL to support a human-centered approach to our work. Specifically, the MEL Coordinator should be a seasoned pro with an educational background and real-world experience in the vital MEL discipline. You should be passionate about the place MEL has in the world of international humanitarian aid and development, bringing to the fore creative, innovative and new approaches to strengthen MEL system, ensuring that it is institutionalized and that our staff have professional development opportunities to increase capacity.
You’ll know you’re doing well if you…
• Transform our approach to MEL in meaningful ways
• Use your creativity to develop and implement strategic advocacy and communications initiatives that tell the stories of our team, our customers, and our partners
• Help us find others through a full range of communications initiatives and tools, broadening our network of like-minded organizations, people, and communities to ensure an human-centered approach to the work we do
• Bring big ideas and then do the doable in advancing advocacy and communications goals to increase interest in, and support for displaced and host community populations in Sudan
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always bae becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Monitoring and Evaluation
Ensure that projects include quality assessments and that they are continually monitored for effectiveness and impact:
• Deliver on all internal and external MEL requirements timely and with high quality information, meaning relevant, triangulated and well analyzed data.
• Strengthen the MEL systems and processes—including but not limited to data collection methodologies, data verification and analysis, and monthly reporting to relevant stakeholders and program design teams—to assure achievement and progress towards project objectives and outcomes
• Ensure that all programs are designed and implemented in accordance with international standards and ALIGHT/ARC Sudan’s values, mission, and vision, as well as programming tools and approaches.
• Develop outcome and learning indicators for logframes and other purposes, more importantly proposal design and development.
• Support project teams with assessment/evaluation planning, ensuring that minimum criteria for quality evaluations are integrated into design and implementation, ensuring that all assessment/evaluation reports meet the quality criteria, and promote the integration of recommendations and lessons learnt in project planning and future programming.
Accountability & Participation
Guide teams to achieve project outcome/impact and ensure clear accountability to, and impact on beneficiaries in line with ARC’s and donors’ policies and practices.
• Ensure that all ARC Sudan staff, including SLT, fully understand and promote accountability and especially to our beneficiaries, through training, coaching and mentoring.
• Contribute to improvements in existing accountability policies and procedures—including but not limited to participation activities in program design, information-sharing with key stakeholders and customers, continuous feedback and response mechanisms to effectively manage complaints or ideas.
• Develop and report against accountability and participation-related indicators and issues and produce an annual report on the accountability and participation work.
• Ensure that activities are carried out to raise awareness of PSEA and handling of serious complaints in line with established ARC policies.
• Inform SLT on the extent to which our interventions are affecting the lives of the targeted populations, and ensure availability of evidence-based knowledge on the positive and negative impact that our interventions are having over the communities with whom we work
Ensure that lessons learned are gleaned from all projects, informing implementation as much as future programming.
• Encourage learning through thoughtful analysis that puts data into practice, and ensuring information sharing and learning opportunities throughout the organization
• Participate in designing and implementation of studies, assessments, and learning in coordination and cooperation with sectors’ technical coordinators and program staff
• Seek opportunities for information sharing and learning exchanges with local actors/INGOs to promote coordination at local, national, regional, and international level.
• Provide strategic guidance and insight into donor reports for consistency, accuracy, and progress, and ensure success stories from the field provide practical, real-world evidence of impact.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
Provide the day-to-day leadership and vision, as well as the critical staff coaching and development to increase organizational capacity and ensure quality MEL initiatives today that also create a pathway for ARC Sudan’s future MEL leaders.
• Advise CPM/SLT on appropriate staffing within the MEL team, and ways to enhance staff’s ability to develop M&E plans for all of our projects
• Provide technical supervision, leadership, motivation, guidance and technical support to the MEL team through regular contact, field visits and meetings.
• Identify training needs of staff and conduct trainings to address the capacity gaps, in collaboration with the SPMs, their technical managers and the HR Manager.
• Conduct performance management of MEL staff, in cooperation and collaboration with the SPMs, their technical managers and the HR Manager
• Participate fully in proposal design, development and writing, ensuring that MEL resources, products and staff are available for the purpose.
• Significant management experience in emergency response and fragile states contexts.
• Significant experience of undertaking a MEL related role in a humanitarian context
• Education to master’s level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
• Experience of, and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
• Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including designing and leading assessments and evaluations; specific experience of designing and managing UN agencies, USAID/OFDA, DFID, GAC and other major donor projects
• Ability to weave seamlessly between an advisory, technical coordination, coaching, and hands-on implementation capacity
• Proven capacity to lead, mentor, coach, and inspire staff; and ability to facilitate/conduct large technical trainings for staff in laymen’s terms that inspire technical and non-technical teams alike
• Excellent communication and influencing skills; comfort in and experience with effectively representing ARC externally
• Successful contribution, including writing in English, to proposals and other supporter documents including assessment and project reports
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
• Capacity and willingness work in difficult and insecure working circumstances
• Language skills in Arabic and understanding of East African context desirable
You strive for…
• Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
• Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
• Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
• Joy. Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
• Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
• Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between general leave and R&R you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.