NY Portfolio Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Please submit a resume and responses to the following questions here: http://bit.ly/1U6VNsJ 1.Why is impact capital, as opposed to traditional investment capital, required to invest in the companies in which Acumen invests? (MAX: 150 words.)2.Given what you know about the types of enterprises Acumen invests in, and the markets in which they operate, what valuation methodology do you think is least relevant when Acumen is analyzing an equity investment in an enterprise? Why? (MAX: 200 words.)3.Please describe a situation in which you had to exert influence without authority. How were you able to convince the other person to see your point of view? (MAX: 150 words.)
Acumen is seeking an Associate in its New York office to work with our Global Portfolio team and support deals in the different regions in which Acumen invests. This is an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with 1-2 years of investment banking experience, superior analytical skills, and a proven commitment to global development.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We were one of the early pioneers that created the field of impact investing. Our companies have improved the lives of hundreds of millions of poor people by providing them high-quality, affordable water, sanitation, healthcare, housing, energy, agriculture and education. We offer leadership programs that bring together the world’s best talent to focus their skills, capacity and moral imagination to solve the world’s toughest problems of poverty. And we invest in the spread of ideas to share what we are learning, in order change the way the world tackles poverty.
We see each investment as a provocation, a chance to support entrepreneurs who dare to build solutions where markets have failed and traditional aid has fallen short.
Acumen’s Global Portfolio team is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments in game-changing social enterprises that serve the poor in our six portfolio sectors: water, health, housing, energy, agriculture, and education. The New York Portfolio team supports pipeline building and deal-making efforts in our various geographies, executes new investments in and manages a small number of U.S.-based companies that have global operations, supports Business Development in fundraising activities and structures strategic partnerships, and manages global portfolio team operations.
Who You Are
You are hardworking, smart, and energetic. You are passionate about tackling poverty with new models and believe that leadership has to be part of the solution. You are excited to join a global team of colleagues committed to Acumen’s mission, and are excited about finding ways to maximize the potential of our team.
You are the kind of person who will excel at balancing the operational and influential responsibilities of this role. You are excellent at execution, have a strong team orientation, and you are excited by a fast-paced, global work environment.
The Portfolio Associate will evaluate new investment opportunities, conduct due diligence on high potential opportunities as they arise, and structure deal terms, largely in partnership with global portfolio team members and with the New York Portfolio Manager for U.S.-based deals. The Associate will be use his or her finance and investing skills and work with team members in Acumen’s investing geographies to evaluate the growth and return potential of social enterprises from both a financial and social impact perspective. The Associate will also prepare deal documents for presentation to Acumen’s portfolio leadership team and Investment Committee.
The Associate will also support the Chief Investment Officer and the New York Portfolio Manager with research and analysis related to Acumen’s investment portfolio and its performance, fundraising and strategic partnership initiatives, and management of global portfolio operations.
The individual in this role must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment, executing quickly on a range of transactional responsibilities, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems.
More specifically, you will:
· Help portfolio managers globally and in New York to identify, cultivate and execute a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor
- Conduct thorough due diligence and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation and structuring, throughout the investment execution process
- Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee, and Board of Directors
Global Portfolio Operations
- Work with the Portfolio Managers and the Chief Investment Officer to analyze and document data-driven explanations for portfolio decisions; to extract and document investment-specific and general insights; to analyze metrics data to identify patterns; and to channel that data to the marketing and business development teams
- Produce discrete knowledge and research materials based on learnings from Acumen’s portfolio
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 1-2 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management; experience with financial and operational due diligence of early stage businesses is a plus
- Superior financial, modeling and business analysis skills, as demonstrated by prior experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner to Acumen management, partners and investees
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty; solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Exposure to emerging markets strongly preferred, with willingness to travel to Acumen’s regional offices for 20-40% of the time
- Capacity to work adeptly across cultures and geographies
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor is preferred
- Bachelor's Degree is required
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Strong understanding of our investing model
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits and a 401(k).
New York, NY
Please submit a resume and responses to the following questions here: http://bit.ly/1U6VNsJ
1. Why is impact capital, as opposed to traditional investment capital, required to invest in the companies in which Acumen invests? (MAX: 150 words.)
2. Given what you know about the types of enterprises Acumen invests in, and the markets in which they operate, what valuation methodology do you think is least relevant when Acumen is analyzing an equity investment in an enterprise? Why? (MAX: 200 words.)
3. Please describe a situation in which you had to exert influence without authority. How were you able to convince the other person to see your point of view? (MAX: 150 words.)
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline for this position is Monday, September 15, 2015.