- New York, New York
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen started as an idea. Thirteen years later we have a proven model that combines the best of charity and investing to change the way the world tackles poverty.
Acumen is a social impact investor with a vision to help build a world beyond poverty by investing in companies that deliver critical goods and services in water, health, housing, energy, agriculture, and education; leaders who are paving the way for new approaches to fighting poverty; and the spread of ideas that will give the world the knowledge and the understanding to change how the world tackles poverty.
Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and commitment to tackling the issue of global poverty are just a few of the things that the staff at Acumen have in common. What we aim to accomplish with our work is no easy task, and we need dedicated, high-caliber people to reach our goals.
Acumen has invested more than $88 million of patient capital in more than 80 social enterprises in South Asia, East Africa and West Africa that have collectively served more than 100 million customers. We have teams on the ground in India, Pakistan, Kenya, Ghana, Colombia and New York, and we aim to build strong local structures that are deeply interconnected to the global organization through shared goals.
Operations Team Acumen brings patient capital to solve some of the world’s toughest problems head-on with our global activities being coordinated out of the New York office. Currently half of Acumen’s 80+ person team are based in New York with the remaining working out of our six other locations. The New York-based operations team drives operational excellence across the entire organization, sets our global strategy and implements best-in-class policies and procedures for a globally distributed non-profit organization.
Who You Are
You are hardworking, smart, and energetic. You are exceptional at execution, you have a strong attention to detail, you are a natural problem solver, and you are excited by a fast-paced, global work environment that demands excellence.
You will be a self-starter, with strong written and verbal communication skills and presence, comfort with multi-tasking, and ease & effectiveness interacting with the full range of internal and external stakeholders on a routine basis. Candidates will be passionate about the work of Acumen and willing to roll up their sleeves on administrative and operational tasks while having the opportunity to make significant and sustained contributions to building our team and impact.
In support of the New York team, you will hold primary responsibility for all administrative and logistical aspects of the Acumen New York office, including managing vendors for building facilities, office supplies, IT, security and travel needs.
- Manage physical space of NY office liaising with appropriate vendors on security, lights/electrical, HVAC, cleaning, and internet, troubleshooting any issues that arise
- Manage any updates needed to physical space, build-out of new spaces or office moves as they arise to ensure space is in line with regulations and any building specific stipulations
- Ensure that the technology support in the office is seamless by liaising effectively with IT manager and external IT providers; phone and internet vendors; and maintenance/repair service providers.
- Serve as first point of contact for all matters related to technology support including phones, computers, anti-virus, networks, copier/printers etc.; troubleshoot technology matters as they arise
- Manage the process for purchase of any new laptop, data-card, office mobile, including for Fellows and summer interns, and maintain accurate assets registry
- Maintain updated inventory of technology items, including laptops and software licenses
- Order kitchen and office supplies, including business cards and stationary, and maintain a store of items for regular office use
- Collect and distribute all inbound mail and packages to the appropriate Acumen Fund New York team members; manage accounts with couriers and USPS.
- Manage budget of NY Admin function, including tracking and paying all vendor invoices, and maintaining all annual contracts (technology, facilities, services)
- Serve as central tracking for vacation time of NY team
- Ensure smooth administrative entry for new hires including email, laptop and phone set up; building security/entry; and first day orientation
- Receive inbound calls for the Acumen New York office and play a key role in the overall effectiveness of Acumen’s phone responsiveness.
- Assist with planning and logistics of internal staff meetings, retreats and external community events
- Provide administrative support for various special projects, as available
Travel and Logistics:
- Manage relationship with corporate travel agency – point of contact for internal feedback, review and categorize expenses
- Assist with visa requirements for New York team and for the global team when traveling to New York
- Assist global staff and candidates in making travel and lodging arrangements when visiting New York
Qualifications & Characteristics
Candidates for the Administrative Associate role should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2-5 years’ experience in an administrative or office management role
- Strong organizational skills, including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to deliver projects proactively, independently and under pressure
- Experience managing multiple tasks effectively with frequent interruptions, and working productively in a fast paced, rapidly growing organization
- Interest and experience in using technology to improve work efficiency; must be experienced in using internet and computers, comfortable with basic set-up and trouble-shooting
- Proven mastery of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point
- Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through; excellent written and oral communication skills
In addition, characteristics we look for in all positions at Acumen:
- Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits and a 401(k)