Office Manager / Bookkeeper
- Global Citizen Year
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Global Citizen Year is a non-profit social enterprise forging a new educational pathway for America’s emerging leaders. By immersing a diverse corps of fellows in developing countries during a “bridge year” after high school, we prepare them for success in college, careers and our global economy. We envision a world in which this “bridge year” becomes a common expectation and opportunity—transforming education, and unleashing the potential of our next generation as social innovators and global citizens.
To learn about our history and our program, visit us at www.globalcitizenyear.org.
Global Citizen Year seeks an Office Manager / Bookkeeper to provide critical HR, IT, administrative and office management support. Additionally, they will provide support to finance department by overseeing accounts receivable, accounts payable, and maintenance of the general ledger.
You are drawn to work that strengthens operations and supports the whole. You’re energized when juggling multiple balls at one time, and find even more mundane tasks satisfying, because you know they are critical to the organization’s success.
You seek continuous improvement. You’re constantly asking, “How can we do this better?” You bring a problem-solving orientation to your work, and instinctively seek opportunities for reflection and feedback. You have a knack for strengthening processes to improve quality and efficiency.
You appreciate quality data. Maybe you store and categorize all your old receipts? You’re obsessed with maintaining accurate, up-to-date records, because you know that strong knowledge management is the foundation of solid decision-making.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions to obstacles.
The Office Manager / Bookkeeper will be part of a core team supporting our US and international teams. Global Citizen Year is in a period of exciting growth and all team members will be part of a larger effort to scale our programs and to deepen our impact over the next few years. Reporting to the Manager, Operations & Finance, their key responsibilities will include:
Office Management – 50%
• Managing human resources onboarding of new staff, including: creating account in online HR system, updating organizational chart, adding staff bio to website, setting up accounts in various systems and confirming proper employment documentation on file.
• For eligible new staff, providing orientation regarding Simple IRA benefit.
• Acting as point person for staff questions about benefits.
• Managing biannual Performance Evaluations via online system.
• Managing basic IT administrative duties, such as setting up new laptops, preparing laptops for re-use, setting up VOIP phones, and administration of Gmail accounts.
• Maintaining hardware inventory using online system.
• Setting up and deleting staff accounts in various online systems, such as box, salesforce, Zenefits, etc.
• Trouble-shooting office equipment, VOIP phone system and wifi issues as they arise.
• Managing office operations including ordering supplies and business cards, collecting and distributing daily mail, and other tasks related to office space in Oakland.
• Posting all job descriptions on the website and on external hiring websites.
• Orienting new staff to Oakland office and various systems on first day of work.
• Acting as liaison with insurance providers regarding requesting certificates of insurance and providing data for policy renewal.
• Answering office intercom phone and providing basic reception to visitors.
• All Oakland staff are required to take periodic one-week shifts answering the 24/7 Emergency Hotline (training will be provided).
Bookkeeping – 50%
Accounting & General Ledger
• Entering all revenue and expense transactions accurately and promptly into the accounting software.
• Performing account reconciliations, including cash, tuition receivable and advance accounts.
• Assisting in the month-end close of the books and records, including maintaining proper filing.
• Ensuring that the annual budget is accurately reflected in the accounting software.
• Generating reports required for external auditors for annual audit.
• Invoicing customers at the beginning of the program cycle, following up on outstanding payments and sending out statements as needed.
• Generating accounts receivable aging schedules and collections data and following up on outstanding receivables.
• Receiving checks, wire transfers, ACH collections, and payments via other methods and applying against receivables.
Accounts Payable and Payroll
• Managing the timely and accurate entry of all properly authorized vendor transactions into accounting software.
• Reviewing and verifying coding on invoices and approved requests for payment for accuracy and completeness.
• Processing invoices, payroll and expense reports for payment, including printing and promptly mailing checks, making wire transfers, and maintaining proper filing and supporting documentation.
Budget Analysis and Administration
• Assisting Manager, Operations & Finance with revising organization’s annual budget model to enable accurate coding and tracking of expenses.
• Performing account analysis, including creating departmental budget vs. actual (BvAs) and others as required.
• Generating reports required for budget holders.
We are seeking a dedicated professional comfortable working within an early-stage organization. The successful candidate will bring a passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and the following skills/experiences:
• Ability to work independently.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in fast-paced environment.
• Excellent oral communication and writing skills.
• Ability to handle sensitive information in confidential manner.
• Initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to pitch in at all times.
The following are a plus:
• Prior HR/IT/bookkeeping/accounting experience.
• Experience with QuickBooks software (preferably Online version).
• Strong Excel skills.
• Non-profit experience.
• Experience living/working outside the U.S.
Location: Oakland, CA
Start date: As soon as possible
Compensation and Benefits:
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience
• Flexible vacation policy
• Medical, dental and vision insurance
• Life Insurance and Disability Benefits
• Simple IRA matching
• A great working environment with fun and talented co-workers
• Convenient Oakland office location near BART
To apply: Please visit our website to apply (http://www.globalcitizenyear.
Deadline: The review will continue until the position is filled.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer, and we strive for our staff to reflect the diverse community we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.