- Tony Blair Governance Intiative
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Job Description: About AGI
AGI is working for a future in which Africa’s development is led by Africans, with governments that are capable of setting and achieving priorities that reflect the rising aspirations and expectations of their citizens. To achieve this vision, we provide practical advice and support to help African leaders to bridge the gap between their vision for a better future and the capacity of their governments to achieve it. We work with countries – currently Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya and Mozambique– that are at turning points and where we have had an invitation from the Head of Government to provide capacity development support.
Our model combines the experience of AGI’s founder and Patron, Mr. Blair, with on-the-ground teams of professionals working shoulder-to-shoulder with counterparts in the heart of partner governments – in Presidential Offices, Investment Agencies and key Ministries – to develop capacity and put in place the skills, systems and structures needed to drive the delivery of real results on the ground. We are a young organisation but one which has grown fast in the seven years since we were founded. Ours is an innovative development model which is showing real impact in our partner countries in Africa.
What we look for in our people
Our teams all consist of outstanding individuals who demonstrate AGI’s values, excel at building and maintaining relationships, have the ability to help our partner government solve some of their most challenging strategic problems, and demonstrate strong leadership skills. Our people all have an excellent work ethic, can-do attitude and enthusiasm to deliver impact on the ground for our partner governments.
AGI team members have a proven track record of leadership and delivery in the public or private sectors and generally have 7+ years of relevant professional experience. We seek to create international and multi-disciplinary teams and are looking for individuals with a background in: public/civil services worldwide; strategy consulting; relevant industry experience; private equity and finance; and international development.
Roles we are seeking to fill in 2016/2017
AGI is a dynamic and fast-growing charity and we are currently looking for exceptional leaders to join the AGI Management Team and lead our country programmes, particularly in new project countries.
AGI Country Heads have full responsibility for all programme activities, including managing a small team, a country budget, overseeing programme design and the delivery and evaluation of project goals, and managing relations with senior government stakeholders up to and including the President. For these challenging and demanding roles we are looking for exceptional performance against the AGI competencies and proven experience of building senior relationships and managing high-performing teams.
We are always looking for exceptional advisors to join our teams and we are currently particularly interested in finding people for the following areas:
Advisors in Centre-of-Government Institutions
We will be recruiting to a number of Governance Advisor positions in institutions at the centre of government: Presidents’ and Prime Ministers’ offices; cross-government co-ordination offices; and strategy, policy and delivery units. We will be excited to meet candidates who have experience of planning, delivery and performance management processes; change management, executive/private office support to a senior leader; or government and strategic communications.
Advisors in Ministries in priority sectors
We will be recruiting to a number of Governance Advisor positions based in priority ministries, working with the senior leadership to develop planning and implementation capacity. Advisors will work with counterparts to build capacity around, e.g., planning and performance management systems, private office functions, and strategy and policy development. We are particularly interested in candidates for roles in the following sectors:
• Finance and Investment – individuals with experience of economic planning, project finance, innovative public finance models, donor and financier coordination, and/or securing access to finance for the private sector and farmers. And individuals with experience of the ICT and innovation industry.
• Energy – individuals with government, consulting or industry experience in the electricity sector, e.g. in energy policy, the performance of energy utilities, public-private partnerships, and the management of power generation and distribution projects.
• Transport Infrastructure – individuals with government, consulting or industry experience in e.g. the performance of infrastructure ministries and agencies, public-private partnerships, project management and oversight of major infrastructure projects in developing countries.
• Private Sector Development – individuals with experience in investment facilitation/ promotion, business linkages and value chain coordination, managing investment deals in emerging market economies and/or delivering organisational change.
• Agriculture – individuals with experience in value chain development, investment appraisal, business planning and market analysis. Experience in emerging market economies preferred.
We would also like to hear from candidates who speak fluent French and/or Portuguese, for recruitment to our projects in Francophone and Lusophone countries.
For any of our roles, experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
Remuneration will be competitive within the international charitable sector and will include provision for flights, housing and relevant expenses in Africa.
How to apply
Applications should consist of a covering letter, explaining your interest in working for AGI and demonstrating how you meet the core competencies, along with a CV. Each should be no longer than 2 pages.
To submit an application, please visit our careers website –
For more information please contact email@example.com. We will be looking to fill roles throughout 2016/2017 and will let you know if your application has been accepted into our talent pool.
AGI is working for a future in which Africa’s development is led by Africans, with governments that are capable of setting and achieving priorities that reflect the rising aspirations and expectations of their citizens.