Operations and Innovation Fellow
- Jacaranda Health
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Full-time, Fellowship
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Nikki Pascual, email@example.com
About Jacaranda Health
Jacaranda Health is a non-profit organization based in Kenya focused on ensuring that all women have access to affordable, high quality and patient-centered care. We are in an exciting stage of growth, and are seeking exceptional candidates who can work with our local project teams to scale our impact across Kenya (and beyond). Ideal candidates are enthusiastic about working in a start-up environment, and are passionate about making an impact in global health at scale
Jacaranda Health has developed a unique model for affordable, high-quality maternity care. We have a social enterprise maternity hospital that serves thousands of low-income women in Nairobi, which has achieved international recognition as the highest-quality provider in the region. Since 2015, we have been working to expand quality care in the public sector hospitals – where 80% of Kenyan women deliver babies – in an effort to improve quality of maternal healthcare across the country. We have begun to see exciting results from simple but effective mobile tools that “nudge” pregnant women and new mothers to seek care at facilities, and a hands-on mentorship programs for midwives that improve and sustain life-saving skills and practices at facilities. We are now seeking to expand our partnerships with county level governments across Kenya. These partnerships have grown from 3 hospitals near Nairobi in 2015, to over 30 facilities in 4 counties in 2018.
We have big ambitions and need help managing our innovative programs as we scale across the country. Will you join us and help transform maternal and newborn health care in East Africa?
Full-time year-long position based in Nairobi, Kenya, ideally starting in September
Jacaranda can offer a stipend for travel, expenses and housing
– Building systems for scale: As we scale our operations to a growing number of counties and public hospitals across Kenya, we need systems (including metrics, tools, and processes) that can grow with the team, and better ways to coordinate action and manage results across geographies.
– Optimizing services and business lines: Leverage data and analytics to increase efficiency of service delivery, and to establish a pathway for scale, including exploring opportunities for sustainable integration within public health systems.
– Human-centered design and customer analysis: Use the tools of IDEO and other global design firms to help us improve client and provider interactions. Develop processes for analyzing client data and revisit our customer segmentation. Some of our tools include social media platforms for peer support (Facebook, WhatsApp), SMS campaigns nudge healthy behaviors during the pregnancy continuum.
Nairobi is an incredibly exciting place to work – a bustling economy and a global hotspot for social entrepreneurship and research. We have a dynamic cross-cultural team in our clinics and main office. Recent graduates could also convert this into a longer-term opportunity.
– Graduate from a top MBA or MPH or healthcare program, or several years professional experience with a consulting, operational, or analytical skill set.
– Highly resourceful, independent, and self-starting but able to work collaboratively
– Flexible and easy-going enough to work in a fluid, cross-cultural startup environment in Nairobi.
– Ability to communicate findings compellingly to colleagues and advisors
– Strong attention to detail and enthusiastic about training colleagues in new tools and methodologies
– Proficient in Microsoft Office tools
– Desired: Experience working in East Africa (or similar setting) and with small, cross-cultural teams
– First-hand experience building a health venture
– Learn about maternity experience and clinical challenges faced by low-income mothers in peri-urban areas
– Significant responsibility and independence
Interested candidates may submit their applications via this link: https://jacaranda-health.workable.com/j/EDC473B433