- BAP Finance
- Kampala, Uganda
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
We are recruiting an Operations Director who wants to join a team that is going through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda. Over the next three years BAP Finance aims to increase our reach by over ten times our current rate by adding new products, expanding to new regions, and opening up new offices.
This role will be for at least three years, starting in July 2018 and will be based in Uganda.
BAP is delivering the products and services to rural farmers to unlock potentials and propel communities forward. To catalyze farmers to realize their potential BAP offers asset financing directly to the BoP. Our first product, a bicycle, connects farmers to market and other basic life needs. Our portfolio is growing with new assets that push upward mobility. Started as a student club in 2008, we hired our first full-time staff in 2014, and have grown to a team of over 14.
To date we’ve disbursed over 2,700 loans that increase income by over 35% for our farming customers. Our portfolio and product offerings are rapidly growing as we add new income-generating agricultural assets each quarter. We are scaling our operations by growing from our current base of 1,000 customers a year to reach 15,000 in the next three years.
We are dedicated to serving farmers who are financially excluded and moving them out of extreme poverty. Our goal is to reach one million farmers by 2030.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We are looking for a hungry, passionate, dedicated and business-savvy individual to take BAP to scale in the next three years. BAP is at an incredibly exciting point in our young history, and we are keen to find the right Operations Director to serve a key leader for the next three to five years (or longer) in such a significant expansion.
You will lead the team through rapid growth and transformation, all the meanwhile improving existing systems, and formulating strategy with BAP’s CEO, managers, and Advisory Board. You will work relentlessly to ensure that BAP hits our target of serving 15,000 farming customers in the next three years.
Our operations are based in Northern Uganda (Gulu and Lira). As we scale to reach 15,000 customers, we will expand nationally. We are open to having someone based in Kampala, with frequent check-ins to our field HQ in Gulu and regional offices.
LOCATION: 50-75% in Kampala (if desired), 25-50% in Northern Uganda
REPORTS TO: CEO
DIRECT REPORTS: Branch Manager, Operations Associate
Leadership and Strategy, you will:
• Work with BAP’s CEO to formulate, execute, and report on the strategic and budget plans on an annual and quarterly basis.
• Oversee product and research development for 1-2 new products per year
• Improve operational processes and policies (Credit, HR, Finance), such as building a system for client feedback and improving review of portfolio management.
Prepare for Scale, you will:
• Analyze and adjust the specifics of the scaling strategy as BAP prepares for rapid growth.
• Continuously test and iterate operations while promoting the right systems to enable to team to feel empowered to do the same.
Management and Human Resources, you will:
• Work with the Branch Manager to oversee daily operations, and manage our 13 person team (that is quickly growing) and two offices.
• Work with the Branch Manager to manage a rapidly growing loan portfolio of 800+ active loans.
• Oversee the continual recruiting, hiring, and onboarding of a growing team, as well as ongoing training and career development of all team members.
• Oversee performance management of entire team.
• Develop progression and succession plans for key staff, particularly for National staff to develop and take on future leadership positions.
• Oversee offices that have most staff working six days a week
• Oversee supply chain management for loan products (bicycles, oxen, grinding mills, etc.)
User Experience, you will:
• Work continuously on improving BAP’s user experience, through better customer service, trainings, research, and marketing efforts.
• Analyze data to understand customer segmentation and how our team can better improve relations within different customer segments.
• Willing to commit at least three years
• Work experience: 5-7 years of professional experience with 2-3 years in a management position.
o Preference to those with at least two years of consulting or operations experience
• Experience living and working in a developing country, preferably in East Africa
• Experience in small rapid-growth environments, preferably social start-ups going to scale
• Strong Excel and analysis skills with desire to ability to quickly adapt to new programs
• Solid understanding of accounting, budget management, and financial management
• Able to embody and emulate three of BAP’s core values: boldness, humility, and solution-oriented.
• Flexible and adaptable to rapidly changing and growing systems
• Hard-working and relentless focus on ultimate vision, all the meanwhile ability to be poised under stress, and have fun with the team
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA is a plus, but not required
COMPENSATION: Starts modest with significant room for improvement as BAP grows and scales; additional benefits include health insurance, professional development, housing, and air allowance.
TO APPLY: Please fill out this brief application and we will be in touch: https://goo.gl/forms/