Operations Manager, Kenya
- The GravityLight Foundation
- Nairobi, Kenya (will involve travel across Kenya)
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
We’re seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial manager, to play a leading role in the launch of GravityLight in Kenya. The role comes with huge responsibility and impact – on both shaping an organisation and in bringing clean, safe and affordable lighting to those with unreliable, if any, supply. We are looking for someone with over 5 years experience in early stage and private sector organisations, with an understanding of the Kenyan retail landscape – urban and rural. The role is fast-paced and varied – establishing the operations of GravityLight’s Kenyan entity and launching GravityLight in country. It requires strong project management skills, taking the initiative to set up new systems and pre-empt challenges, across the GravityLight supply chain and partnerships. The role will be based in Nairobi but with travel to, and oversight of, a country-wide team and activities.
The GravityLight Foundation tackles poverty and protects the environment through innovative design. We believe passionately in the power of design to empower individuals, increase opportunity and improve people\’s lives.
Our first product, GravityLight, has been designed to replace damaging, dangerous and expensive kerosene lamps, used by over 1.3 billion people without electricity.
GravityLight is unique – it generates power with the lift of a weight.
Many people agree it has great potential: http://gravitylight.org/
We believe in creating a sustainable, scalable model to tackle poverty and creating livelihoods, locally in the process. This means:
– Designing solutions based on the feedback of users, creating products that people value
– Using market forces to have a larger impact, faster and sustainably.
– Building skills and livelihoods through making and distributing GravityLights.
– Collaborating with a range of partners to maximise and accelerate our reach.
Following two rounds of successful crowdfunding and global field trials, GravityLight has been re-imagined, reworked, re-engineered and thoroughly tested over the last 18 months, based on trial feedback and identified user need.
We are now preparing to launch GravityLight in Kenya, establishing a social enterprise arm of The GravityLight Foundation to partner extensively to ensure GravityLight reaches as many people as possible in the years ahead.
-You will be establishing and leading GravityLight’s operations and activities in Kenya, directly reporting to the board of Directors.
– Support establishment of GravityLight’s trading subsidiary in Kenya – including
registration, banking, internal systems and outsourcing to select service partners
– Set up inventory management systems
– Establish sales and stock reporting, forecasting & re-ordering processes
– Lead fulfilment of orders to sales team and distribution partners
– Establish and manage customer service system
– Launch co-ordinator – including working with marketing agency organizing nation-wide road show and researchers collecting impact data
– Multiple ad hoc activities
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
– 5 years management experience, including operations, project management, business development
– Private sector retail experience in Kenya
– Experience establishing operations – such as setting up inventory management and
CRM systems and team processes.
– A desire to make a positive impact through your work, and interest in social enterprise
– Action oriented – resourceful, able to take the initiative and manage multi-priorities in a fast-paced environment.
– Excellent attention to detail and project management skills.
– Confident working independently as well as collaborate with a wider team.
– Proficient using Microsoft Excel
– Fluent (spoken & written) in English and Ki-Swahili
– Eligible to work in Kenya
START DATE: September 2016
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya. Will involve travel across Kenya.
SALARY: Ksh.250,000 – Ksh.300,000 per month, dependent on experience.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 23rd September with your CV and cover letter on why you’re interested and fit the role.
Find out more about us on www.gravitylight.org and via twitter or facebook.