Operations Officer: Finance & Administration
- Segal Family Foundation
- Warren, NJ
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Complete the online application and upload your resume or CV
- Where to Apply
About Segal Family Foundation
At Segal Family Foundation (SFF), they believe in a world where development is steered by grassroots leaders and power is shifted into the hands of communities. We work across Sub-Saharan Africa and strive to be true partners to our grantees.
SFF supports 200+ incredible organizations who are finding local and scalable solutions to Sub-Saharan Africa’s most pressing challenges. They offer their grantee partners financial and capacity building support.
Our vibrant team of 18 passionate change-makers are spread across the globe. They work virtually across continents, and their team of 12 in Africa is spread across four countries. SFF moves fast and adapts quickly as they find new and exciting ways to push their mission forward. SFF has a lot of ambition, and they are building a team that will continue to help them punch above their weight.
About the role
SFF is looking for a dynamic and detail-oriented leader to manage, direct, and implement financial systems and administrative processes across their five offices (New Jersey, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, and Tanzania). The hired candidate will be a “get it done” leader who enjoys thinking big and working small, with the technical and organizational skills necessary to ensure the team and grantee partners can work to their highest potential. You will handle a full spectrum of activities related to grant disbursements, payroll, journal entries, financial statements, reconciliations, budgeting, office management, governance, compliance, and more. They are looking for someone who will share their passion for SFF’s work and will be eager to find new and better ways of operationalizing their core values: Be Bold, Fight for Fairness, Trust, Learn & Innovate, and Build Community.
The position is based at Segal Family Foundation Headquarters in Warren, New Jersey. This person will work cooperatively with the staff in the Operations Department, led by the Director of Operations.
SFF cares about the health and safety of all their employees. They have implemented a number of policies in response to COVID-19 including working remotely, limits to the number of employees working on site, social distancing measures, disinfectant and sanitation products available throughout the office, quarantine procedures if needed, and more. Though they are keeping their distance, they are doing their best to stay connected with each other through various virtual platforms and occasional outdoor meetups.
As of the week of August 24, their office is open (with limited capacity), and staff have the option to work either fully or partially remote. Once it is safe for the office to fully reopen, the expectation is that this position would be based full time on site, not remote.
Your responsibilities will include
Financial Management and Accounting (70%)
● Review SFF’s current financial systems and procedures; design and implement any changes necessary to ensure compliance with laws & accounting standards across all jurisdictions, alignment with SFF’s values, and data integrity across platforms (QuickBooks & Salesforce).
● Ensure the timely disbursement of grant payments to our 200+ grantee partners, as well as payments to consultants and vendors.
● Execute on all bookkeeping functions including journal entries, reconciliations, and generating financial reports.
● Review and reconcile employee expense reports.
● Administer bank transfers and monitor bank accounts.
● Prepare monthly budget vs. actual reports and contribute to the annual budgeting planning process.
● Liaise with payroll service companies in Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, and Tanzania to process payroll and pay obligatory taxes.
● Liaise with insurance broker(s) to administer employee benefits.
● Identify & liaise with audit firms in Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, and Tanzania to conduct annual financial audits and ensure that they are filed with the appropriate regulatory bodies.
Governance and Compliance (15%)
● Expand on existing processes as necessary to ensure SFF’s grantmaking is fully compliant with relevant laws and regulations.
● Maintain records for and oversee the necessary filings and actions to ensure that SFF is properly registered in each country of operations and fully compliant with all legal, tax, and labour requirements necessary to lawfully operate in each country.
● Maintain records for and generate documents as needed for business related to the Board of Directors, liaising with outside counsel when appropriate.
Administration and Logistics (15%)
● Serve as the office manager for the New Jersey office, including answering phones, processing mail, and record keeping.
● Assist team members with coordinating travel, booking hotels & venues, registering for conferences, and other related activities.
● Provide support to ensure all employees have the appropriate visas and work permits.
● Assist with the planning & execution of events hosted by SFF.
Who SFF is looking for
● You live the values of Segal Family Foundation. Each one is essential to achieving our mission, and they want to see a history of your engagement with each.
● You are a behind-the-scenes hero and are fulfilled by driving the implementation side of our success.
● You are incredibly well-organized and detail-oriented. You gain energy from bringing order and a systematic approach to chaos … must love spreadsheets, numbers, and oxford commas! (Must also love team members who are more systems-adverse!)
● You are comfortable working in a fast-paced team environment with some level of ambiguity and where decisions are made quickly.
● You have a track record of working hard and smart to achieve ambitious goals. You take ownership of responsibilities and can meet high expectations.
● You are a consummate professional with the highest ethical standards and respect for confidentiality.
● You don’t have to be an extrovert but must be comfortable engaging with a hard-working and passionate team both virtually and in-person to forge close-knit relationships. We are looking for a team player who will dive head-first into our unique culture and join us in helping celebrate and support each other.
● You must have experience and strong skill in:
○ Accounting and bookkeeping using QuickBooks and Excel
○ Best practice accounting procedures
○ Financial planning
○ Payroll & benefits administration
○ Liaising with audit firms, payroll companies, and foreign banks
○ Executive or administrative support
● It would be really nice if you had experience in:
○ Grantmaking and philanthropy
○ Salesforce, as well as strong computer skills beyond the basics of Microsoft Word and Excel
○ Training others on financial management and an interest in occasionally providing advice and/or technical support around financial management to our grantee partners
○ Engaging stakeholders across cultures and time zones, ideally in Africa
Why work with SFF
● Mission and Impact: They want to change the face of philanthropy while uplifting incredible local leaders (who we like to call #SFFrockstars) in Sub Saharan Africa.
● Career Development: They hire ambitious people and support them to develop their skills and leadership potential. They want to see them grow and will support you in your career trajectory.
● Autonomy: They hire smart and talented people and let them lead the way. You will have a team of 17 to lean on but will be given the autonomy (and responsibility!) to take control of your role and will have the opportunity to contribute to strategic decision-making within the Operations Department.
● Work Hard, Play Hard: They put in the extra time and go the extra mile to support our partners. But they also love to laugh, have fun, and enjoy the camaraderie they’ve built amongst their team.
● Variety and Adventure: They support 200+ partners across 20+ African countries. While travel will not be a large part of this specific role, you will still have opportunities to meet our partners, learn about their work, and occasionally see it for yourself in Africa.
● Benefits: they believe in supporting the wellbeing of their employees, so they offer health insurance, 401k matching, paid time off, and professional development opportunities.
● The starting salary for this position will be: $70,000 – $80,000.
● African diasporans with work authorization in the US are strongly encouraged to apply!
● There will be a three-month probation period with mutually agreed-upon performance and learning objectives.
● Segal Family Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.