Pipeline Development Associate – Spring 2018
- Points of Light Civic Accelerator
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
In 2012, Points of Light launched the first startup accelerator program and investment fund focused on “civic ventures” – social enterprises that inspire, equip and mobilize people to create positive change. We are seeking a team of part-time “Pipeline Development Associates” to aid in the recruitment and selection process for our next program which will launch in Spring 2018. The Associate will work independently and collaboratively with the Civic Accelerator team to develop a pipeline of qualified entrepreneur applicants and local partners, encourage strong applicants to apply, and assist in the cohort selection process. A successful Associate will become the “Civic Accelerator go-to person” for their specific region, as well as the “eyes and ears” on the ground for the Civic Accelerator Leadership Team.
SCOPE OF WORK
1. Venture Research Pipeline Development
a. Generate (on average) 5 new venture leads each week
i. Facilitate one-on-one conversations and informal interviews with new leads to gauge “fit” and create excited and awareness around the Civic Accelerator
ii. “Close” at least 50% of desirable/highly desirable venture leads to by guiding them through the Civic Accelerator application process and ensuring that the benefits of the program adequately communicated.
iii. Upload and track venture lead development in collaboration with other fellows and the Civic Accelerator Leadership team on shared Google spreadsheets
iv. Report status of all leads in bi-weekly Civic Accelerator pipeline check-in calls (weekly during application cycles)
b. Develop and maintain (on average) 1 new and/or alternative pipeline partner relationship (other accelerator, university, investment fund, fellowship, etc.) each week to source venture referrals, develop new partnerships, and gain more insight into social impact accelerator best practices.
c. Develop and maintain at least 5 new marketing channel relationships to promote and distribute civic accelerator news and updates (social media outlets, newsletter announcements, local blogs, publications, etc.)
d. Attend at least 2 (different) related events/networking functions in your area each month. The Civic Accelerator will provide up to $20/month for admission fees to local social entrepreneurs meet-ups, demo days, and networking functions where potential CivicX candidates might also be in attendance. Associated receipts must be submitted for event fee reimbursement.
2. Applicant Review and Cohort Selection
a. Screen and review assigned applicant entries alongside the Civic Accelerator Selection Committee during the venture selection process
b. Advise the Civic Accelerator Selection Committee on any finalist applicants from your region.
We’re looking for individuals who are…
• Passionate about and genuinely interested in civic engagement and social innovation
• Extremely task/detail oriented
• Able to communicate clear ideas across a variety of mediums (in-person, phone, email, web, etc.)
• Just as happy working independently as with a larger group
• Excited about meeting new people and sharing new ideas
…and who have…
• Prior experience in the social enterprise/non-profit/startup/
• Knowledge of the major players and thought leaders in the social innovation space
• A “no fear” attitude toward talking with (very nice) strangers; this role will involve lots of outreach on your part
• An undergraduate and/or graduate degree (or currently pursuing one) in Business, Nonprofit Management, Entrepreneurship, Economic Development, Public Policy, or a related field.
• Professional experience in sales, client engagement, or business development (preferred)
• Experience navigating large databases, and document sharing platforms (preferred)
The Fellow must be based in/near one of the following geographic areas unless otherwise approved:
• Atlanta, GA
• Austin, TX
• Boston, MA/ New England
• Chicago, IL
• Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
• Denver, CO
• Greater New York City Area
• Los Angeles, Ca
• Miami, FL
• New Orleans, LA
• Philadelphia, PA
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Portland, OR
• San Francisco, CA
• Seattle, WA
• St. Louis, MO
• Washington D.C
A Fellow stipend of $250/month will be provided. Fellows will also have the option to attend specific Civic Accelerator Sessions, pending session availability and schedule coordination, with subsidized travel costs.
Approx. 5-10 hours a week, for 3-6 months, with option for extension, starting January 2018.
Email resume and cover letter to Megan at Mchristenson@pointsoflight.org