- Meds & Food for Kids
- Cap-Haitien, Haiti
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- email@example.com; "Plant Manager" in subject line
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK) is a social enterprise, operating in the north of Haiti, with an administrative headquarters office in St. Louis, Missouri. A social enterprise has social goals which it meets by following sound business principles; it reinvests all positive margins back into the mission. MFK is dedicated to saving the lives of Haiti’s malnourished children and other nutritionally vulnerable people. MFK accomplishes its mission by developing, producing and distributing highly nutritious foods, including the gold-standard Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF). It makes its food products in Haiti, using Haitian workers and, whenever possible, Haitian raw materials. The factory is run increasingly with Haitian management, as a requisite for a sustainable future. MFK also undertakes traditional non-governmental organization activities in Haiti, including an agricultural research and development effort working with Haitian farmers, as well as providing malnutrition treatment to children in a few clinics and mentorship supporting other malnutrition clinics throughout Haiti. MFK also produces and distributes a nutritious school snack and is developing and will be testing a new prenatal supplementation product.
ROLE DESCRIPTION: Plant Manager, Cap-Haitien, Nord, Haiti
Oversee and optimize all aspects of Cap-Haitien food processing plant and warehouse operations including safety and environmental compliance, manufacturing reliability and capacity, product quality and cost performance. Ensure that manufacturing sites maintain comply with all locally applicable laws and regulations. Under general direction from his/her manager, operates with autonomy and latitude in decision making.
• Manage Emergency Response/Crisis Management Plan for site. Minimize the number of injuries, reportable environmental releases. Maintain a high awareness for safety, security, and the environment at Meds & Food for Kids manufacturing facilities to achieve the corporate goal of zero injuries, work-related illnesses, security incidents and environmental incidents. Support environmental sustainability and social responsibilities in agriculture and human health.
• Establish and maintain appropriate site certifications (e.g., ISO 22000 and GMP) to support global quality manufacturing of the company products. Support changes to the company quality policies and SOPs as appropriate. Maintain operations in compliance with our Quality Management System.
• Develop operational plans and targets/KPIs and leads organization to achieve and exceed objectives and targets. Drive continuous improvement initiatives and manage capital investments in a structured manner to align with short and long-term plans.
• Manage assigned operations to produce quality product at Sales & Operations Plan volumes and manage plant spending to achieve target conversion cost. As appropriate, and staying within budget, support implementation of business processes and functionality that will reduce costs or improve operational efficiency. Maintain production records and logs to provide necessary production, shipping, cost, and budget data to corporate accounting on a timely basis. Manage third party contract manufactures as needed.
• Maintain good relationships with local authorities, as well as with partner humanitarian organizations.
• Ensure proper staff levels, experience and training, including cross-functional training within staff to guarantee at least on backup for every role.
• Support product maintenance and product development for the plant site by following our processes.
• Build an empowered and engaged organization adhering to the company’s core values with ongoing training and practicing of our Management System.
• Enhance the effectiveness of the organization through appropriate recruitment, development, and management of people.
• Plan the work of the unit. Discuss the planning options with direct reports seeking for their suggestions. Assign clear and tangible tasks with specific smart goals
• Set context for direct reports on a regular basis, providing the larger picture within which they are working.
• Manage task assignment and personal effectiveness appraisal within region and respective teams.
• Provide frequent, accurate, specific and timely feedback.
• Coach individuals and teams to ensure an integrated and collaborative effort to competently service customers.
• Engage in the training and development of team members and manage succession plans.
• Foster process improvement and cross-functional collaboration.
General Guidance for Key Knowledge/ Skills/ Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable training in Food Science, Chemistry or Engineering and 15 years of manufacturing experience; preference will be given to advance degree (MS/MBA)
• 8-10 years of management experience over related Manufacturing team.
• Proven working knowledge of Continuous Improvement, Lean Manufacturing and quality management systems.
• Thorough knowledge of manufacturing regulations with ability to develop, apply, and audit policies and procedures required by organization policies, and food Industry quality best practices.
• Strong cost accounting and financial management skills for managing manufacturing schedules, budgets and reporting.
• Strong production planning and project management skills.
• Proven communication skills and ability to build and maintain relationships with government agencies and community representatives.
• Strong leadership skills to set direction and keep multicultural, multifunctional teams reaching regional and global objectives. Ability to work effectively with resources in other world areas.
Other Essential Requirements
• Fluent in French and / or Haitian Creole
• Fluent in English
• Willing to live full-time in Cap-Haitien
• Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
• Health insurance and medical evacuation insurance
• Generous vacation, inclusive of two weeks at year end, when the factory is closed
• Housing or housing allowance
• Annual round trip plane ticket to country of residence