Product Development Manager
- The GIIN
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is looking to hire a Manager to play a key role in product development and project management for the GIIN’s impact measurement & management guidance and standards products in this fast-paced growing organization. In this role, the Manager will take an ambitious impact measurement & management (IMM) product development strategy and build the plan for execution of the strategy to meet market demands. This involves managing standards development processes, developing high-quality key impact performance metrics for impact investors, a data architecture to enable portfolio-level measurement, and implementation protocols and guidance, and ensuring standards and guidance tools are offered in an accessible and user friendly way. The Manager will inform strategic choices for the evolution of such products, refine existing standards-related processes, and author supporting standards protocols for using sound impact measurement & management practices to understand social and environmental performance throughout the investment process. Additionally, in close collaboration with the broader GIIN team, the Manager will contribute to cross-programmatic activities related to IMM, as well as to GIIN-wide investor-focused events. The Manager will report to the Director of Impact and will also have line management responsibilities.
• Manage the standards development process including: developing technical roadmaps, working with stakeholders to solicit and respond to feedback, refining and implementing protocols that guide development processes
• Manage the release of standards and guidance products revisions/upgrades including: coordinating with advisory bodies to incorporate feedback, creating upgrade materials to support users, coordinating deployment of new versions with partner organizations
• Serve as the organizational point person and technical expert for IMM standards by maintaining a comprehensive understanding of the IRIS metrics catalog and framework and supporting other team-wide efforts appropriately to improve sophistication around IMM in general
• Lead project management for key convenings of the standards advisory committees, including development of meeting agenda, managing overall timeline, and coordinating with internal staff and other key players on the development and delivery of content
• Manage the delivery of key products – including IRIS and Navigating Impact.
• Participate in increasing IMM programmatic effectiveness and durability
• Collaborate with the communications team to produce supporting materials
• Collaborate with technology team to develop and refine relevant technology and data infrastructure products
• Acquire knowledge of the impact investing activities, interests, and needs of impact investors and other impact investing ecosystem players such as evaluators, analysts, and impact standards setters.
• Work with team members of other GIIN initiatives (Network, Investors Council, Membership, ImpactBase, Research, Outreach) to develop and/or carry out program activities
• Additional responsibilities as needed
The Product Manager must have demonstrated standards development experience. This position requires rigorous analytical skills; technical expertise; experience with a wide variety of impact investing goals and sectors; the ability to manage detail-oriented processes; ability to rapidly prototype and test concepts; experience with developing and using data taxonomies; and the ability to foster positive working relationships with a variety of internal and external partners. The Manager must be knowledgeable of impact measurement & management practices, investment concepts, and structures. The ideal candidate has field-level data collection, portfolio analysis and modeling experience, is a systems thinker, organized, detail oriented, thoughtful and resourceful, and will excel in a highly professional, creative, performance-driven organization. Experience in high-growth organizations would be advantageous, but is not required for the role.
• Strong conviction that investment capital can effectively address social and environmental challenges
• Relevant professional experience, preferably including one or more of the following: product development, statistics, data science, macro-economics, standards development, or performance measurement. Highly qualified applicants will have 8+ years of relevant experience
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in relevant field desired
• Demonstrated familiarity with market systems, market dynamics, and evaluative methods and metrics
• Trained in a variety impact-related standards, frameworks and principles such as SASB, GRI, PRISM, GHG Protocol, UNPRI, etc. including those related social and environmental accountability
• Experience with the investment management process for a variety of asset classes and related reporting or informational requirements
• Participation in market-level working groups to develop standards for specific sectors a plus
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple long-term projects, in coordination with multiple external parties
• Appetite and skills to build, systematize, document processes and standards
• Excellent, detail-oriented organizational and technical, skills, ‘systems thinking’ orientation, and quality management systems
• Effective written communication skills, particularly the capacity to synthesize varied input, articulate trade-offs, identify decision points, and translate complex technical concepts
• Excellent problem solving, critical and creative thinking skills; a proactive approach to solving problems
• Success balancing deliverables on multiple projects simultaneously
• Team-orientation, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
• Detail-oriented, with high standards of performance
• Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• A technical background and/or previous experience working on a technology product a plus
• Personable, engaging presence, with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
Full-time role in a flexible, entrepreneurial culture. This position is based in New York, NY.
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2017.
State “IRIS & IMM, Product Manager, First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we strongly encourage early applications.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an equal opportunity employer.
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. They can be made in both emerging and developed markets, and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon the circumstances. The GIIN addresses systemic barriers to effective impact investing by building critical infrastructure and developing activities, education, and research that attract more investment capital to address global challenges.
A hallmark of impact investing is the commitment of the investor to measure and manage the social and environmental performance of investments. For instance, in support of this, the GIIN manages IRIS, a catalog of generally accepted performance metrics used by impact investors to measure their social, environmental and financial performance. The GIIN also supports its members and the wider industry through impact measurement and management activities, and the development of guidance tools, such as Navigating Impact, aimed at helping investors make the intangible social and environmental results of their investments tangible.
For more information about GIIN programs and initiatives please visit www.thegiin.org