Product Development Manager
- Mercado Global
- Panajachel, Guatemala
- Contact Information
Known for collections rooted in authenticity, Mercado Global pieces are hand-woven for the consumer who values craftsmanship, quality, authenticity, and transparency. Rethinking the status quo, Mercado Global is working to change sourcing patterns of the fashion industry by empowering indigenous artisans in rural Guatemala to become the next generation of business leaders.
Since its inception in 2004, Mercado Global has created job opportunities for over 450 indigenous women in Guatemala’s highlands. The organization has partnered with major brands such as Anthropologie, Calypso St. Barth, Garnet Hill, Holt Renfrew, J.Crew, Pamela Love, and Levi Strauss & Co. Products have been featured in Vogue Italy, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, O! The Oprah Magazine, and WWD, among others. Mercado Global’s model for enlisting the fashion industry in fighting poverty and empowering indigenous women weavers has also been featured on the cover of Newsweek, by NPR and on Good Morning America.
Mercado Global seeks a Product Development Manager to lead sourcing and sampling management from its Guatemala office. The Product Development Manager facilitates strategic workflow between design team, production team, and artisan co-operatives. Qualified candidates have professional or native proficiency in both Spanish and English, as well as excellent skills in communication, project management and organization. This is a full-time role with a two-year minimum commitment.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com, indicating “Product Development Manager” in the subject of email.
Roles + Responsibilities
- Maintain and evaluate the collection R&D calendar from concept through final samples, including tracking samples and facilitating cross-team communication
- Manage requests, timeline, and sampling for private label and exclusive product. Facilitate workflow with Design Team, Production Team, and Artisan Co-ops
- Lead quality control process
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Creative Director, support scheduling and correspondence with external advisors and Fashion Advisory Board partners.
- Manage design and production fellowship program
- Maintain material library organization – both physical and digital.
- Lead weekly meetings between Design and Production teams.
- Partner with Textile Coordinator in developing weaving and surface work techniques in artisan communities.
- Support costing through strategic style cutting plans, market analysis, and identifying opportunities to improve margin.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years experience in product development and/or project management, with specific experience in textiles or soft goods
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Written and verbal professional proficiency in Spanish
- Strong initiative and interest in creating organizational systems
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as an active team player
- Successful in managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Pro-active and strategic problem solving
- Superior communication skills, including written, listening and verbal. Ability to effectively address external partners as well as all levels within the organization
- Weaving knowledge and experience working with artisans is a plus.
- Basic sewing and pattern making knowledge