Program Associate – Senior Program Associate
- Results for Development (R4D)
- Where to Apply
Established in 2007, Results for Development (R4D) is a Washington DC-based organization dedicated to accelerating social and economic progress in low and middle income countries. R4D creates real solutions to complex problems by incubating new models to address the unmet needs of the world’s poor. R4D brings to bear its depth of expertise, analytical rigor, extensive networks, and implementation experience to work on a broad and ambitious set of development issues — improving health, governance, and education in poor countries and leveraging global markets for large-scale social gain.
R4D’s Market Dynamics Practice harnesses the power of the private sector to broaden access to vital goods that positively impact the lives of people around the world. We leverage best practices from the private sector (e.g., strategy development, value chain analyses, demand forecasting) to address inefficiencies that cost the global community billions of dollars and prevent hundreds of millions in need from achieving access to life-saving products. By collaborating with multinational corporations, foundations, and governmental organizations, the R4D Market Dynamics practice has identified over a billion dollars in efficiency savings, while also creating manufacturer incentives to generate sustainable and reliable access to high-quality life-saving health commodities (e.g., HIV/AIDS drugs, bed nets, nutritional supplements, antibiotics).
R4D is expanding its work in Tanzania to increase access to a life-saving pediatric treatment for pneumonia, the largest killer of children under five globally. Successful implementation of R4D’s ambitious programs in Tanzania and other high-burden countries can help avert the about 1 million pneumonia deaths in children every year. Working alongside a small, impact-driven team and with the Tanzanian public sector, this position provides a unique opportunity to holistically shape the market of an essential health commodity, from forecasting and procurement to programmatic interventions in health facilities.
R4D is seeking an exceptional Program Associate (PA)/Senior Program Associate (SPA) (position title will depend on qualifications) to work with the Market Dynamics team to implement its multi-pronged approach to reducing the burden of childhood pneumonia in Tanzania. The PA/SPA’s work will be underpinned by extensive engagement across diverse stakeholders (e.g. procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers and government agencies), along with rigorous analysis to drive impact. The PA/SPA must be skilled at developing deliverables to inform strategy and recommendations.
Application Due Date: Open until filled
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support the development of forecasting and supply planning tools
• Assist with procurement, product registration and contract management activities for the successful and timely implementation of project objectives
• Support the development of training and supportive supervision methods and materials
Depending on final composition of the team, the PA/SPA may also:
• Conduct data cleaning and descriptive and econometric data analysis
• Implement data quality control activities
• Manage external data collection partners to ensure adherence to design and protocols
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with outstanding problem-solving, analytical, and diplomacy skills. S/he must be able to function flexibly and independently and have a strong commitment to excellence. This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
R4D aims to hire and nurture talented, energetic people who are passionate about making a difference for the poor in developing countries, while capable of taking an analytic and pragmatic view toward development challenges. We seek people who fit well into our organizational model.
• 3-5 years of experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy, Business Administration, Public Administration, Statistics, Public Health or related field
• Familiarity with public sector drug procurement processes
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills, plus experience independently driving analysis
• Experience with developing or reviewing quantifications / forecasts
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentations
• Self-starting team player that can think strategically, handle ambiguity, and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and multicultural setting
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
• Availability for 10-15% domestic travel
• Fluency in Swahili and/or experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector, such as with the Tanzania Food and Drugs Authority (TFDA), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or the Ministry of Health
• Experience utilizing quantification reports to support the development of ordering and supply plans
• Ability to manage and analyze large, complex databases, and efficiently report and track project indicators and achievements
• Exposure to trainings and ongoing supervision activities with healthcare providers
• Experience independently coordinating and managing research firms
• Experience in global health or development
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter, resume, and expected salary to email@example.com. Include ‘Program Associate/Sr. Program Associate (TZ) – Market Dynamics — Your Name’ in the subject line. No telephone or e-mail inquiries please. In addition to detailing your qualifications and interest, please also include your start date availability.
Results for Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: D/V