Program Officer – Private Sector
- Results for Development (R4D)
- Contact Information
Established in 2007, Results for Development (R4D) is a Washington DC-based organization dedicated to accelerating social and economic progress in low and middle income countries. R4D creates real solutions to complex problems by incubating new models to address the unmet needs of the world’s poor. R4D brings to bear its depth of expertise, analytical rigor, extensive networks, and implementation experience to work on a broad and ambitious set of development issues — improving health, governance, and education in poor countries and leveraging global markets for large-scale social gain.
R4D’s Market Dynamics Practice harnesses the power of the private sector to broaden access to vital goods that positively impact the lives of people around the world. We leverage best practices from the private sector (e.g., strategy development, value chain analyses, demand forecasting) to address inefficiencies that cost the global community billions of dollars and prevent hundreds of millions in need from achieving access to life-saving products. By collaborating with multinational corporations, foundations, and governmental organizations, the R4D Market Dynamics practice has identified over a billion dollars in efficiency savings, while also creating manufacturer incentives to generate sustainable and reliable access to high-quality life-saving health commodities (e.g., HIV/AIDS drugs, bed nets, nutritional supplements, antibiotics).
R4D is expanding its work in Tanzania to increase access to and scale uptake of a life-saving pediatric treatment for pneumonia, the largest killer of children globally. Successful implementation of R4D’s ambitious programs in Tanzania and other high-burden countries can help avert the about 1 million pneumonia deaths in children every year. Working alongside a small, impact-driven team and across both the public and private sectors, this position provides a unique opportunity to be immersed in the holistic market of an essential health commodity.
R4D is seeking an exceptional Program Officer (PO) to work with the Market Dynamics team to implement its multi-pronged approach to reducing the burden of childhood pneumonia in Tanzania. S/he must be able to conduct high quality research and analysis, and be skilled at developing deliverables to inform strategy and recommendations.
Application Due Date: Open until filled
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead exploration and identification of barriers to scale up treatment in the private sector. This will include:
o Analyses to determine optimal pricing strategies to increase consumer access
o Engagement with the supply chain (wholesalers, distributors, and drug shops) to increase awareness and supply
• Work with suppliers to catalyze strategies to increase demand in the private sector
• Play a key role in the development of training and supportive supervision methods and materials for private sector health professionals.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with outstanding strategy, problem-solving, analytical, and diplomacy skills. S/he must be able to function flexibly and independently and have a strong commitment to excellence. This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
R4D aims to hire and nurture talented, energetic people who are passionate about making a difference for the poor in developing countries, while capable of taking an analytic and pragmatic view toward development challenges. We seek people who fit well into our organizational model.
• 5+ years of experience, including within the private sector
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, or related advanced degree OR 2-3 years of experience in management consulting
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative modeling skills, plus experience independently driving analysis and managing multiple work streams/projects
• Experience creating partnerships and successfully managing external relationships in multicultural environments
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentations
• Self-starting team player that can think strategically, handle ambiguity, and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting
• Familiarity with working in global health and/or commodity markets
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
• Availability for 15-20% domestic travel
• Fluency in Swahili and/or experience working in an East African country’s private health sector, such as with hospitals, clinics, drug shops and any relevant governing bodies
• Experience developing Willingness to Pay and Cost of Goods Sold analyses
• Exposure to trainings and ongoing supervision activities with healthcare providers
• Experience living or working abroad, particularly in emerging markets
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter, resume, and expected salary to email@example.com. Include ‘Program Officer (TZ) – Market Dynamics – Your Name’ in the subject line. No telephone or e-mail inquiries please. In addition to detailing your qualifications and interest, please also include your start date availability.
Results for Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: D/V