- Lake Victoria Region
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Read this candidate guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Where to Apply
WeTu is a social enterprise in the Lake Victoria region. Our mission is to improve lives in rural Kenya by creating sustainable solutions targeting key needs of rural populations: energy, water and mobility. We leverage innovative technology to drive improvements in rural lives using a business model.
To deliver our service to our clients and closely interact with them to understand their evolving needs and interests, we operate a hub model. We currently run 7 hubs and 5 satellite hubs across Migori, Homa Bay, Siaya and Kisumu counties. We’ve adopted modern state-of-the-art for water filtration technology and solar equipment.
We work in four areas, two of which are successful established product lines:
Water services: We provide clean drinking water at an affordable price through water ATMs, and carry out sanitation and hygiene awareness trainings. We dispense more than 300,000 litres monthly, reducing waterborne diseases.
Solar lanterns: Omena fishermen use our modern and safe technology, which helps them save money while having an environmentally friendly source of light while working on their boats at night. The lanterns are charged and serviced at our Hubs.
eMobility: We are currently introducing e-cargo bikes and e-motorbikes charged by solar to meet the transport needs of rural businesses and families in a sustainable, clean and climate friendly way.
eWaste: Recognizing the environmental challenges of electronic waste, we recently set up eWaste collection points in our various hubs and are receiving eWaste for recycling.
We are a growing team of about 40 with a social enterprise and start-up culture spread across our field locations, Kisumu, Nairobi and Munich (Germany). With over 10 years of operations in the region we have strong relationships with our communities. WeTu is on an exciting journey: We are expanding our product lines through innovative growth models and are shaping up internal processes to support our growth!
Learn more: http://wetu.co.ke
About the Project: WeTu recently joined a project consortium working on “Green Energy for Productive Use” with EU funding. Over 30 project partners from Europe and Africa will research and develop energy products and use cases for the BoP market, with the end goal of strengthening existing and developing new economic and job opportunities through access to renewable energy.
WeTu has a key role in the project and will launch and operate two new Hubs in Sondu (a more urban environment in Kisumu County) and in Nyagwethe (a rural Community in Homa Bay County) which will function as demonstration and piloting sites for various products, use cases and research for the project partners.
About the Role:
The Project Coordinator will be the overall in-charge of the project at WeTu and coordinate internally with the team and externally with all project partners to ensure timely and quality implementation of all project goals and deliverables. You will also work to draw learnings from the different tests and prototypes systematically and feed them back to the various research partners and also integrate them into WeTu’s business model for the two Hubs.
The coordinator is the only full-time staff committed to this project and will work to leverage WeTu’s existing team who all have their own roles and goals in the ongoing business.
We are looking for an organized, passionate and business-minded project management professional, who is excited about supporting research and pilots of new technologies to uplift the livelihoods of marginalized communities.
Your Responsibilities will include:
Providing project oversight and coordination
- Understand the overall project with its goals, work streams and partners and develop a project plan and budget in collaboration with senior management.
- Track, drive and keep updated the work plan to ensure timely and effective implementation of all project activities and milestones as well as the successful achievement of proposed outcomes and intended impacts. Consider and manage dynamics and risks involved in the project and the implementation sites. Ensure all business guidelines and grant requirements are followed in implementation.
- Ensure that the two new hubs are launched timely by coordinating with various teams in WeTu (technical installation, hiring and training Hub staff, local marketing, etc.)
- Ensure smooth coordination of the internal project team made up of relevant WeTu team members, making it easy for them to support this project despite having their own roles and goals in the business.
- Liaise with the consortium lead in charge of our work area regularly to ensure our role in the project is on track with expectations and to tap arising opportunities.
- Oversee project spending and track the budget in collaboration with WeTu’s finance team.
- Ensure that relevant reports are submitted as per grant requirements and meet expectations. Collect and use monitoring data for high-quality reports.
- Ensure all project indicators are properly baselined and that evaluations are done as per the proposal and that any recommendations are promptly acted upon.
- Participate in and support project and operational audits.
Managing engagements with project partners
- Work with project partners who want to test products and services in our two demonstration hubs to align timelines and make sure any technical requirements are taken care of by WeTu’s technical team.
- Respond timely to all requests of project partners for data and information needed for their research projects and technical prototypes (incl. market, user and technical data and business metrics).
- Be the face of WeTu during project visits to ensure the partners have a strong experience during their visit and to avoid burden on the larger WeTu team.
- Provide logistics and travel support where needed to project partners or EU delegations for site visits.
Ensuring the business is learning from the prototypes
- Ensure we collect relevant data and information and track the right metrics to measure the outcomes of the various prototypes in order to learn about the viability and effectiveness of the proposed products and services.
- Liaise with the other Hubs and business development managers at WeTu to ensure we develop innovative solutions that address key needs and opportunities in the local community.
- Work towards identifying viable business models from the various technical pilots, both for the rural and the urban location. Engage with senior management on arising business ideas to take them forward towards the mid-term financial sustainability of the two new Hubs.
- Ensure identification, documenting and sharing of best practices, change stories and lessons learnt over the project implementation period.
- Support dissemination of communications resources of the project to key stakeholders.
Who we are looking for:
- You share our vision and drive to provide solutions in the areas of water, power and mobility with the aim of improving living standards in rural Kenya through business approaches.
- Project Management
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in managing projects of similar nature in a rural setup or a marginalized area.
- Ability to coordinate and organize many moving pieces with excellent planning, organizational and multitasking skills.
- Good understanding of project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation processes.
- Previous experience working in an international project consortium and in writing donor reports.
- Business & Product Development
- You have a good understanding of and experience with business for people at the bottom of the pyramid
- Previous involvement in designing new products or services, including collecting and analysing relevant relevant data to shape the product and inform business model
- You are proactive, entrepreneurial and enjoy exploring new market and business opportunities
- You have strong oral and written communication skills and are able to clearly and persuasively engage diverse stakeholder groups: from local partners in the community to international research institutions to European funding partners.
- You are a strong relationship builder and stay energized through constant people interaction.
- You take a systematic approach to planning and executing your work and projects.
- You have worked in a cross-cultural environment and easily communicate effectively with international audiences in writing and in-person.
- Highly independent working style, able to take responsibility and function under minimal supervision.
- You are ready to travel across rural locations, with overnight stays in often simpler accommodation options. You are flexible to travel at short notice when need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business or another relevant field.
You fit with our culture at WeTu if:
- You are excited about moving a social enterprise forward and to implement state of the art technology and business models.
- You excel in an intercultural and international team.
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands.
- You are a self-motivated person who solves arising problems efficiently.
Why work with us?
- Steep learning curve: We are a small team so you are involved and exposed to all business matters across the board. You will also engage with interesting global partners and the Directors in Germany directly.
- Exposure to innovation: Working on new technologies and cutting-edge projects is exciting.
- You are part of driving socio-economic development in the lake region.
- Work in a value-led organization where we care for each other, our team and provide what you need to excel in your work.
Other information: The role is based in Kisumu. Our Hubs are spread around the lake region and local travel is required regularly. Ideal start date is September 2021. At times, working hours might extend if time-sensitive work arises. The project contract will be 2 years, subject to extension based on performance and project grant extension. There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives. We are a growing business and are looking for candidates who want to grow with us.
Interested female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Want to apply?
- Read this candidate guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Any questions? Email email@example.com
- Apply through the application form under this link: https://bit.ly/JoinWeTuProject
- You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is in PDF format, no longer than 3 pages and relevant to this role.
- The selection process will include interviews, written case study exercises and a visit to one of the hubs for finalists.
- Recruitment process in partnership with edge. All emails regarding this role will come from email accounts in the domains edgeperformance.co.ke and wetu.co.ke