Project Manager, Digital Financial Inclusion
- Georgetown University Initiative on Innovation, Development and Evaluation (gui2de)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
About gui2de’s Digital Financial Inclusion Research
Georgetown and MIT researchers have shown how mobile money can help to alleviate poverty. To continue to build upon this research, gui2de has been awarded a grant by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop and assess the social and economic impact of innovations on a mobile money platform, with a focus on expanding access and utilization to marginalized segments of the Kenyan population, including women, rural residents, and the poor. The research looks to understand the drivers of sustained adoption and usage, as well as the impacts of mobile solutions on the lives and livelihoods of the poor.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Project Manager will oversee the execution of a project in accordance with the research objectives articulated by the Principal Investigators. The PM will perform a variety of tasks related to research management and stakeholder engagement. This position reports directly to the Nairobi-based Program Coordinator, and will also work closely with the DC-based Program Coordinator, Data and Research Manager, and Principal Investigators.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain relevant databases and documentation of project activities
• Collaborate with Principal Investigators on study protocols and survey design
• Develop survey instruments and program surveys to data collection platform
• Manage and oversee the implementation of the intervention and subsequent data collection activities
• Ensure data quality through high-frequency checks
• Clean data and oversee the process of sample randomization
• Conduct preliminary data analysis using a statistical software package (STATA, R)
• Manage relations with both private and government stakeholders and research partners
• Draft concept notes and MOUs with partner organizations
• Provide advice and supervision to Project Assistants and Georgetown University summer interns
• Travel to project sites and regional stakeholder meetings as needed
• Effectively communicate project status, milestones, and unexpected difficulties to gui2de leadership
• Collaborate with gui2de staff across units and countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to ensure quality work and successful implementation
• Perform other duties as necessary in support of the research team
• Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Development Studies, or related field –OR– Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Development Studies, or related field plus relevant work experience
• Excellent analytical, team management, and communication (verbal, written, and interpersonal) skills
• Ability to effectively interact with public, private, and civil society leaders concerning project implementation and data collection
• Familiarity with social and behavioral science research, particularly impact evaluation methods and randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
• High degree of competency with STATA and Excel preferred
• Familiarity with Python, ArcGIS, SurveyCTO, and/or survey programming is a plus but not required
• Be an energetic self-starter, not requiring close supervision
• Possess the ability to anticipate and identify problems, and craft creative and effective solutions
• Proactively conceive and promote innovative approaches to drive the research agenda forward
• Remain flexible and quickly adapt to unexpected challenges and changing demands and parameters of the study
• Thrive in an inclusive and collaborative environment, and appreciate the synergy built amongst gui2de faculty, staff, and students
• Be able to provide both programmatic and technical updates to the research team
• Frequently use remote communications to stay connected with international staff
Interested applicants should send a CV, list of three referees, and statement of interest to Jessica Kong at Jessica.Kong@georgetown.edu, with “DFI Project Manager application” in the subject line. Please send your application by 4th September, 2017 to be considered during the first round of review. The start date for this position is flexible.
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 in Washington, DC in the USA, is a Jesuit university committed to both teaching and research at the highest levels. Consistent with these traditions and its commitment to global development, gui2de conducts empirical field-based research to assess the impact and effectiveness of interventions and policies aimed at improving the lives and livelihoods of the poor. Jointly convened by the Economics Department and the McCourt School of Public Policy, gui2de provides timely, relevant, and insightful analysis to inform development policy and practice.
gui2de’s office located in Nairobi, Kenya is known as gui2de-East Africa, and serves as a hub for research activities in the region. gui2de-East Africa administers a broad variety of research projects, in areas such as road safety, financial inclusion, education reform, agricultural finance, and maternal health. The office consists of a small core team that provides strategic leadership and the administrative infrastructure needed to conduct research, along with a team of project managers and project assistants. gui2de has attracted funding from partners such as USAID, the UK’s Department for International Development, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank, as well as other sources.