Regional Business Development Manager
- Living Goods
- Where to Apply
About Living Goods
Living Goods seeks to improve the lives of tens of millions of underserved customers by revolutionizing the way community health is delivered in the developing world. We believe that family should have access to basic healthcare and no child should die of easily preventable, treatable causes. To achieve this, Living Goods created an innovative, cost-effective approach for improving the health of families in need that combines the best practices from community health, and successful person-to-person sales businesses. The model deploys networks of community health promoters (CHPs) who go door-to-door teaching families how to improve their health, and selling life-saving products like simple treatments for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhea, healthy fortified foods, clean birth kits, efficient cook stoves and solar lights. We recently completed a rigorous independent randomized control trial that showed the model is reducing under-5 mortality by more than 25%.
Living Goods works with many of the world’s leading visionary organizations across the corporate, social and government sectors. Current partners include the governments of Kenya and Uganda, plus Care International, BRAC and PSI. We are backed by funders who share our belief in applying business solutions to solve social problems at scale. Funders include the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Mulago Foundation, Omidyar Network, and Skoll Foundation, among others.
Living Goods is on a rapid growth trajectory. To support our ambitious goals, Living Goods seeks a highly motivated Business Development (BD) Manager to drive forward our efforts to secure institutional funding from bi/multi-lateral agencies. This new position will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and engaging a wide range of stakeholders, including the US government, foreign governments, multi-lateral organizations, foundations, and corporations, based outside of the U.S. The primary focus of this role is on tracking, securing, and managing bi/multi-lateral funding, from identification to positioning to award. But, the role is about more than just securing financial support— we are looking for an individual who can develop opportunities to maximize our growth. This means, for example, exploring innovative funding mechanisms, striking key partnerships, and transforming the way we engage with our community of supporters in country. Working closely with the Living Goods’ Country Directors, Vice President of Partnerships, and Director of Business Development, the BD Manager will help craft and execute Living Goods’ long-term strategy to increase government funding for community health.
The ideal candidate is a results-focused professional with vision and an entrepreneurial spirit. This is a tremendous opportunity to help scale and build an already successful organization and to dramatically improve the health and livelihoods of many millions of low-income consumers. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda and will require travel in the region, and at times, internationally.
• Drive Living Goods’ business development strategy in East Africa.
• Pipeline development. Research, track and analyze new funding opportunities, competitive intelligence, and Living Goods’ positioning.
• When relevant, identify prospective partners and negotiate Living Goods’ sub-role on proposals.
• Relationship management. Develop and support senior management’s cultivation and strengthening of relationships with prospective funders, implementing partners, government officials, local media, and other key stakeholders in the region.
• Proposal development. Serve as writer, proposal coordinator, or other lead role on proposal teams. Develop well-crafted concept notes and proposals. Coordinate preparation of all supplementary information.
• Partner with the Global Business Development team to proactively standardize and improve business development processes, tools, and resources.
• Contribute to Living Goods advocacy, communications, and outreach activities. This might include researching and analyzing local and national policy issues, representing Living Goods in relevant working groups, or supporting country-specific communication strategies.
• Award management. Work closely with country teams to manage reporting requirements for future bi/multi-lateral funded projects. Provide expertise and guidance to Living Goods staff on the requirements and processes of these awards.
• Contribute to the overall strategy of Living Goods as a key member of the Business Development team.
• Represent Living Goods at conferences and donor meetings, as needed.
• Host key donors and partners visiting Uganda and Kenya.
• Minimum 5 years relevant experience in fundraising and business development, with a proven track record of success winning bi/multi-lateral funding. Two or more years emerging markets experience preferred.
• Desire and ability to help build the business development function in a rapidly expanding and fast-paced global organization.
• Experience in global health strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with USAID and other bi/multi-lateral donor funding mechanisms, policies, and procedures required. Prior experience working on bi/multi-lateral funded projects strongly preferred.
• Strong knowledge of budgeting, financial planning, and reporting.
• Demonstrated experience managing proposal teams and processes and producing deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
• Strong research, writing, and presentation skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal and networking skills.
• Willingness to travel, predominantly in East Africa.
• BA required; Master’s preferred.
• Fluency in English required.
Life at Living Goods
Living Goods is aiming to make disruptive changes, dramatically improving the lives of underserved communities. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to conceive and test new ideas every day. If you work well in a dynamic, highly collaborative culture, if you set high standards for yourself and your colleagues, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with calm determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods. See www.livinggoods.org/principles
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please visit: http://bit.ly/27a0x52. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.