Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific
- WaterEquity Inc.
- Location is flexible within East Asia and Pacific region. No relocation benefits will be offered. Candidate must currently reside in the region.
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Send cover letter and resume to email address with "Application - Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific" in the subject line.
- Where to Apply
WaterEquity is seeking a Regional Director for East Asia and Pacific who will lead all aspects of investment management in the region, including deal sourcing, screening, negotiations, due diligence, and portfolio management across two water and sanitation investment portfolios:
1. Existing portfolio – Investments in financial institutions lending to households, SMEs, and utilities for water and sanitation
2. Nascent portfolio – Investments in water and sanitation infrastructure including project finance as well as direct investments into corporates such as engineering and construction companies and equipment and technology providers
The Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer and is part of the investment management team. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly take over relationships with existing clients, generate pipeline, and execute investments. The candidate will develop long-term investment strategies for the countries under management.
WaterEquity is the first-ever impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets. WaterEquity has made over $68M in investments in thirty companies since 2016. WaterEquity focuses investments on expanding access to water and sanitation in emerging markets, particularly among low-income and underserved populations. WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Within the East Asia and Pacific region, WaterEquity currently invests in Cambodia and Indonesia, and aspires to expand to additional markets with significant water and sanitation investment gaps. Under the leadership of the Regional Director, WaterEquity expects to double the East Asia and Pacific portfolio from $25M to $50M in 2021. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
• Business development and candidate screening
• Structuring and negotiation
• Due diligence
• Financial, ESG, and impact analysis
• Presentation of opportunities to investment committee
• Coordination with other departments on documentation and disbursement
• Support transactions in other geographic regions
• Monitor financial and operational health of investments
• Lead workouts for problem investments
• Monitor country and market risks
• Support other departments with local compliance issues
Strategy & Representation
• Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and products within the region
• Represent WaterEquity externally, including sector events and investor discussions
• Support the investment management team in refining strategies, processes, and tools
A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact and an ability to work independently to develop and manage a high-quality investment portfolio. The following qualifications are necessary:
• Master’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent professional experience
• Minimum ten (10) years of experience in finance / banking / microfinance / impact investment in emerging markets, with at least 3 years of experience overseeing an investment portfolio
• Experience with due diligence and analysis of investment opportunities in financial institutions
• Experience in infrastructure investment preferred, particularly water and sanitation
• Experience with cross-border transactions
• Existing professional network of contacts in the financial services sector
• Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
• Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives
• Willingness to regularly travel internationally
Compensation & Benefits
Details of compensation package will be dictated by contract status, which will be determined based on location. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member.