Research and Advisory Services Manager
- Transform Finance
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ABOUT TRANSFORM FINANCE
Transform Finance is a field-building nonprofit organization working at the intersection of capital and social justice. Founded in 2013 by Andrea Armeni and Morgan Simon, we are based in New York City and operate internationally through multiple program areas.
Transform Finance envisions a world where capital is a tool for the advancement of real, transformative social change. Through thought leadership, trainings, convenings, and the Transform Finance Investor Network, we support all stakeholders, from community leaders and activists to investors and entrepreneurs, who are exploring a more just vision for the deployment of capital and redefining who wins and who loses in the economy.
– The Transform Finance Investor Network is a community of practice for asset owners and managers exploring how to align their capital in accordance with social justice and the transformative finance principles. Launched at the White House in 2014, the Network now represents over $2 billion in assets explicitly exploring this alignment
-The Transform Finance Institute for Social Justice Leaders is a multi-day training that supports social justice leaders and activists in exploring how capital intersects with their work and how to use it as a tool to advance social change agendas, from climate justice to immigrant rights
– Our research projects empower and spur to action investors and movement builders through knowledge, tools, and opportunities. Examples include new models for alternative financing mechanisms, investment frameworks aligned with specific social justice issues, and a review of the role of investors in supporting a fair future of work
– Our advisory services help foundations, family offices and other investors navigating the alignment of their investments with a social change strategy, from defining an impact thesis to crafting investment policy statements and identifying pipelines of transformative investable opportunities
– Our thought leadership work centers on webinars, briefings, and public speaking at the forefront of finance and social change and covers topics such as the intersection of renewable energy and human rights, alternative ownership structures, and community-centered governance models for investments
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Research and Advisory Services Manager is a new, key programmatic position with significant responsibility over Transform Finance’s ideation and output. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Research and Advisory Services Manager will be responsible for systematizing and growing the volume of special research projects, such as investor briefings and reports, generating high-level content, and supporting the organization’s growing advisory services.
We seek a thoughtful and energetic leader committed to social justice values, versed in finance and issues of the economy, and motivated by the idea of supporting the mission of our small, quirky, well-respected organization.
As Research and Advisory Services Manager you will have ownership of the following areas:
– Contribute to the development of our research agenda
-Update and expand existing materials to reach new stakeholders
-Coordinate distribution and communications around products such as reports, briefings and website writeups
– Develop and execute research plans
– Create work plans and concept notes for main research projects
– Conduct research interviews and and summarize findings, identifying partners and research support when needed
– Identify, supervise, and manage contracted and hired research staff and conduct quality control on delivered work
– Look for and respond to RFPs and potential research and content production initiatives
Investor Advisory Services
– Support the Executive Director and other staff in the identification of advisory projects and their execution
– Respond to RFPs, develop deliverables, and oversee the research component
– Support the organization through broad engagement, writing, public speaking, and advocacy
– Respond to requests for meetings and interviews surrounding research items
– Stay abreast of trends and developments in the field and contribute to the team’s overall knowledge
– Draft smaller, substantive posts for online publication
– Deep affinity for our mission and demonstrated commitment to the values of social justice
– Outstanding research, writing, and communication skills
– Strong understanding of finance and the capital ecosystem, in particular around impact investing
– Experience in project management and research oversight; ability to identify research partners and contributors
– Ability to relate to very diverse actors in a supportive manner and to be effective in a variety of settings, from investor boardrooms to the front lines of activism, and to carry messages across different audiences
– Resourcefulness, thoroughness, and the ability to deliver under pressure with varying degrees of oversight
– Creative thinking and intellectual curiosity
– Based in or willing to relocate to NYC
Transform Finance is committed to living by its principles and seeks to provide growth opportunities for individuals who have historically been excluded from the realms of finance and nonprofit leadership. While the ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in research, consulting, or journalism with a focus on finance or political economy issues, we will help the right individual grow into the position and take on progressively more responsibility based on demonstrated capacity to perform.
Or maybe you come from a completely different background – we are still keen to hear what you have to say.
In line with salary levels of young nonprofits, the salary range is $80,000 to $100,000, commensurate with experience. The position includes insurance, generous benefits, and flexible time-off.
Please submit an expression of interest highlighting your qualifications, accompanied by your CV, the names of two references (ideally from the impact investing, community organizing, or membership organization space), and a recent writing sample solely authored by you to email@example.com. Please feel free to submit any additional materials that you believe will support your application. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.