Sales Manager, Kenya
- The GravityLight Foundation
- Nairobi, Kenya. Will involve travel across Kenya.
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
We’re seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Sales Manager, to play a leading role in the launch of GravityLight in Kenya. The role comes with huge responsibility and impact – on both shaping an organization and in bringing clean, safe and affordable lighting to those with unreliable, if any, supply.
We are looking for someone with over 5 years experience in early stage and private sector organisations, with an understanding of the Kenyan retail landscape – urban and rural.
The role is fast-paced and varied – establishing GravityLight’s own field sales team and operations as well as building partnerships with distributers’ country-wide. It requires strong project and people management skills, including managing remote teams, as well as sales and partnership development experience.
The role will be based in Nairobi but with management of a country-wide team and activities.
The GravityLight Foundation tackles poverty and protects the environment through innovative design. We believe passionately in the power of design to empower individuals, increase opportunity and improve people\’s lives.
Our first product, GravityLight, has been designed to replace damaging, dangerous and expensive kerosene lamps, used by over 1.1 billion people without electricity.
GravityLight is unique – it generates power with the lift of a weight.
Many people agree it has great potential: http://gravitylight.org/
We believe in creating a sustainable, scalable model to tackle poverty and creating livelihoods, locally in the process. This means:
– Designing solutions based on the feedback of users, creating products that people value
– Using market forces to have a larger impact, faster and sustainably.
– Building skills and livelihoods through making and distributing GravityLights.
– Collaborating with a range of partners to maximise and accelerate our reach.
Following two rounds of successful crowdfunding and global field trials, GravityLight has been re-imagined, reworked, re-engineered and thoroughly tested over the last 18 months, based on trial feedback and identified user need.
We are now preparing to launch GravityLight in Kenya, establishing a social enterprise arm of The GravityLight Foundation to partner extensively to ensure GravityLight reaches as many people as possible in the years ahead.
You will be establishing and leading GravityLight’s sales strategy and business development in Kenya, directly reporting to the board of Directors.
– Input to the organisation’s sales and business development strategy
– Recruit, develop and managing Regional sales managers and field-level agents – including regular travel to regional managers
– Establish robust inventory tracking, forecasting and financial management systems – in collaboration with the Operations and Finance managers to establish
– Identify opportunities and build partnerships with distribution partners – to meet sales and financial targets
– Lead national launch – including establishing distribution and maximizing sales across GravityLight’s nation-wide launch roadshow.
– Establish and manage the customer service platform – including management of after-sales care, warranty fulfillment and customer surveys for impact measurement
– Represent the voice of the customer internally – sharing insights and recommendations to improve marketing, distribution and product development plans.
– Multiple ad hoc activities
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
– 5 years sales experience at managerial level, including management of a field sales team and business development activities.
– Private sector retail experience in Kenya – understand both urban and rural customer bases and successful marketing strategies by target market.
– Proven sales skills, a track record of hitting targets and building partnerships
– Experience in early stage organisations, establishing teams and processes
– Action oriented – resourceful, able to take the initiative and manage multi-priorities in a fast-paced environment.
– Excellent attention to detail and project management skills.
– Confident working independently as well as collaborating with a wider team.
– Proficient using Microsoft Office –especially Excel
– A desire to make a positive impact through your work, and interest in social enterprise
– Confident pitching, presenting and objection handling – such as presenting to large groups of consumers, preparing and running product training sessions, negotiating partnership terms and handling objections.
– Fluent (spoken & written) in English and Ki-Swahili
– Eligible to work in Kenya
START DATE: September 2016
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya. Will involve travel across Kenya.
SALARY: Ksh. 150,000 – Ksh.200,000 per month, dependent on experience. Plus commission.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 23rd September with your CV and cover letter on why you’re interested and fit the role.
Find out more about us on www.gravitylight.org and via twitter or facebook.