Senio Associate, Special Projects to the CEO
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Acumen Website
Senior associate, Special projects to the CEO
Acumen is working to change the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in business models that deliver critical goods and services to the world’s poor, improving the lives of millions. Since 2001, Acumen has invested more than $88 million in 81 companies across South Asia and Africa. We are also working to build a global community of emerging leaders that believe in creating a more inclusive world through the tools of both business and philanthropy.
The Senior Associate, Special Projects to the CEO is an extension of the CEO as well as a core member of Acumen’s Communications and Marketing team. You will report directly to the Global Head of Brand Strategy and Communications. In this role, you will be exposed to a wide range of responsibilities, including conducting research, crafting presentations, preparing briefings, vetting speaking opportunities, supporting partner relationships and driving internal communications. As an extension of the CEO, your purpose is to create greater capacity for her to focus on priority initiatives and be a more effective leader. In this demanding and multidimensional role, you will serve as a trusted advisor to both the CEO and the Global Head of Brand Strategy and Communications on special projects and planning.
Success in this role will be defined by your ability to think both strategically and intellectually, exercise good judgment, synthesize and distill complex information about Acumen’s work and the broader impact investing landscape, and remain highly organized and efficient in the midst of numerous assignments and a fast-paced environment.
· Research and content creation: Research and develop content for our CEO’s speaking engagements and presentations, as well as other communication such as blogs, quarterly newsletters and other articles
· Validate data, insights and messaging to use in executive content and presentations in conjunction with internal subject matter experts, including legal and finance teams.
· Review on a daily basis news and issues relevant to Acumen’s work and effectively translate to serve the CEO’s messaging via social media
· Provide ongoing editorial support for op-eds and blog posts, as well as the management and transcription of personal journals and other writings
· Ensure timely execution of team and global updates and tracking of ideas, events and issues of concern
· Manage executive presence: Manage executive briefings and preparation for a variety of external appearances, C-level and board meetings, and regional visits, conducting research and writing when necessary
· Work with other members of the Communications and Marketing team on the timely and effective evaluation of incoming speaking invitations, media opportunities and meetings with key influencers for the CEO globally
· Liaise with relevant stakeholders such as country office directors, conference organizers and others to ensure CEO is adequately prepped and “in the know;” exercise good judgment to set expectations and ensure time is well spent in the field
· Support the CEO’s social media presence
· Other: Write and deliver effective communications that explain and manage change in support of new initiatives, processes and senior leaders
· Provide deep research and writing support to both the CEO and Global Head of Brand Strategy on additional projects and special initiatives on an ad hoc basis
· Contribute to the coordination of internal organizational activities such as Town Hall meetings, “brown bag” conversations, and monthly staff updates from the CEO and other members of our senior Management Committee
Who You Are
First and foremost, you are smart and known for your integrity. You roll up your sleeves and are fearless when it comes to taking on the work that needs to be done, no matter how big or small. You are intensely curious about the world and passionate about contributing to building a more inclusive society, and you recognize that you can have as much impact at a desk as you can in the field. You are a team player and value shared success. You are a thinker-doer who can thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve. You are excellent at execution and possess a strong attention to detail. You are positive, mature and even keeled…and you have a sense of humor (really). You seek direct feedback and see challenges as opportunities as for growth. And last, but not least, you are humble and empathetic.
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in a journalism or related role, or one that required you to take on a broad spectrum of responsibilities.
· Exceptional listener and communicator—written, oral and visual—with an high attention to detail; demonstrated ability to synthesize many different ideas, connecting the dots and crafting rich content for a diversity of audiences
· Superior research and analytical skills
· Professionalism, poise and discretion related to working with senior executives
· Familiarity with issues related to poverty as well as the macro environment for philanthropy, the impact investing and social enterprise sectors, key Fortune 500 companies and their leaders, NGOs, venture capital firms, and capital markets preferred/helpful
· Ability to collaborate effectively with different colleagues and personalities, at all levels
· Proven success managing time, opportunities and engagement for senior management
· Highly skilled in Microsoft Office (especially PowerPoint), Apple Keyword, and most major social media platforms
· Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits and a 401K.
New York, NY
Please submit a resume and cover letter (not to exceed one page) via our applicant tracking system.
Deadline [The deadline for this position is July 1, 2015]