- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
myAgro is an award-winning, start-up social enterprise working in Mali and Senegal, West Africa. Our mission is to help small-scale farmers move out of poverty by providing certified seed and fertilizer, technical assistance and market access to farmers via a mobile layaway payment system. We’ve grown from 240 farmers in 2013 to over 10,000 this year. Our dream is to build a model of savings layaway in Mali and Senegal that can be adopted by other organizations to serve over a million farmers throughout the world.
About this Role:
myAgro is seeking a highly-qualified Senior Accountant who wants to use their finance acumen and management skills to make a significant impact on the lives of thousands of farmers in the developing world. The Senior Accountant will play a critical role in developing and strengthening the financial systems of this young but fast-growing social enterprise. The Senior Accountant position is a career-track role, and has the potential to develop into a senior leadership position (e.g. Director of Finance, VP of Finance) as the organization grows. The role reports to the Director of Finance and is based in Bamako, Mali for the first two years. After two years, the responsibilities can potentially be performed remotely.
Above all, this position requires thorough knowledge of financial accounting. Candidates must also have a record of significant professional responsibility and success meeting complex organizational goals, and a demonstrated ability to support, strengthen, and motivate a diverse team.
Key responsibilities include:
• Manage & Strengthen Financial Systems
• Manage bookkeeping/accounting staff responsible for the general ledger and payroll
• Oversee journal entries, reconciliations, and month-end closing
• Design, review, and implement financial policies and protocols for the entire organization
• Identify ways to improve our risk management system to protect against fraud and/or cash mismanagement
• Assist with budget and audit processes in collaboration with the Director of Finance, CFO and CEO
• Lead Financial Reporting
• Create and analyze monthly financial statements and provide variance analysis
• Assess and inform senior management of the financial health of the organization on a monthly and quarterly basis
• Assist the CFO and Director of Development with preparation of reports for all grants, ensuring accuracy and integrity of financial information
• Work closely with the CFO and Director of Finance to manage budgets and to ensure fiscal responsibility
• Work with myAgro’s finance team to create consolidated financial statements and perform the necessary analysis such as cash flow, budget reconciliation, etc.
• Train Future Leaders
• Coach and lead regular trainings for Mali-based finance staff to strengthen their capacity in accounting, financial analysis, and reporting
• Constantly seek innovative ways to keep financial systems at par with new technologies by using the right software, taking advantage of relevant trainings, and engaging consultants.
• If needed, complete annual trips to Senegal to train the Senegal finance team
• English and French fluency required.
• Note – For highly-qualified applicants with a strong commitment to learning French, myAgro may cover a 6-week French immersion program in Dakar.
• BS in Accounting, Finance or related field from a US or European Accredited University required
• 3+ years of work experience in financial accounting, reporting and/or audit in the US or Europe required
• CPA or equivalent highly desirable
• Strong manager and team leader. Able to manage multiple projects and prioritize goals, and to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues
• Highly organized and attentive to detail
• Flexible and adaptive work style. Able to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and concisely to all stakeholders
• Commitment to myAgro’s mission
• Knowledge of US GAAP and SYCOHADA
• Familiarity with non-profit/grant accounting
• Knowledge of QuickBooks and/or other accounting software
• Competitive compensation (commensurate with experience)
• 2 annual round-trip flights between West Africa and your home
• Housing, utilities, and internet
• Travel and emergency medical insurance
• Flexible work schedule and generous vacation benefits
• Language lessons
• Tons of karmic good – you will be directly helping families move beyond subsistence farming
• This is a career track role – you will be given regular, thoughtful career feedback and professional development opportunities to advance your career.
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com