Senior Associate, Business Development
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
SENIOR ASSOCIATE, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
We are looking for a project and relationship manager to support Acumen’s Founder and CEO and the Director of Leadership as they build the right connections and raise funds to expand Acumen’s work in the world, particularly Acumen’s work in leadership.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services offer important opportunities to people living in poverty. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 270 million lives by investing $115M in 113 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t just about capital, we’ve been investing in relationships for years… connecting with emerging leaders in their own countries and engaging them in extended collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About the role
We are looking for a project and relationship manager to support Acumen’s Founder and CEO and the Director of Leadership as they build the right connections and raise funds to expand Acumen’s work in the world, particularly Acumen’s work in leadership. Although you will report to the Director of Leadership, this role will also work very closely with the CEO. The role will involve account management, project management, research, and outstanding relationship management (someone who can notice and remember what is important to the various partners and supporters we engage). As the CEO and Director of Leadership focus on expanding Acumen’s leadership work over the next five years, the Senior Associate will play a key role in building communities of supporters.
• Account and relationship management for the CEO’s donors (currently 149 relationships and growing), including how and when the CEO engages with each relationship. You will help the CEO stay on the pulse of what is happening by proactively following our community in the news.
• Account and relationship management for the Director of Leadership to help deliver on the leadership team’s fundraising goal of $10M over the next few years. The Leadership team has out-sized goals to deliver on the expansion of our work developing moral leaders, and are looking to build an ever-stronger community of influencers and major givers.
• Leading proactive research, building a pipeline of prospects, writing grant proposals and reports, and creating presentations and materials to communicate the impact of these programs.
• Partnering with the Communications team to coordinate and execute all fundraising and community events for the CEO and Leadership team. You will continuously reflect on how we engage our partners in new and creative ways.
• Project manage key activities for the CEO and Director of Leadership, such as Leadership events and trips.
You’re mission driven. You’re a team player who shares Acumen’s values. You’re interested in building strong relationships for Acumen. You are responsive, flexible and work quickly in a fast-paced, high-intensity, ever-changing environment. You’re a thinker-doer, skilled writer, collaborator, with a mindset for flawless execution.
+ 4 – 6 years of relevant professional experience in research and writing, relationship management, or account management.
+ Operationally minded—detail-oriented project manager who is able to effectively coordinate a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
+ Relationally minded—although there is a great deal of operations in this role, and operations are critical, fundraising most often comes down to relationships.
+ Critical thinker accustomed to working, problem solving, and collaborating thoughtfully in a fast-paced environment.
+ Excellent aptitude for Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Digital native preferred: experience with Zoom, Bluejeans, Slack.
+ Permanent work authorization in the US.
Additional characteristics we seek for all roles at Acumen:
+ Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission: to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, and respect
+ Ability to thrive in ambiguity, remain cool headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
+ A sense of humor (really)
New York, NY
Acumen offers a healthy, nonprofit compensation package.
Please submit your resume and answers to the following questions here: https://bit.ly/2R5TxHe
1. Where does your passion for social change work come from? (MAX: 200 words)
2. What methods do you use to stay organized and manage project with many stakeholders and multiple moving parts? (MAX: 200 words)
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline is January 25th, 2019.