Senior Associate Market Strengthening Team
- Clean Cooking Alliance
- Nairobi Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Email a CV and cover letter with the subject line Application for Senior Associate, Market Strengthening Team
- Where to Apply
The Clean Cooking Alliance
The Clean Cooking Alliance (CCA) works with a global network of partners to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. Established in 2010, the Alliance is driving consumer demand, mobilizing investment to build a pipeline of scalable businesses, and fostering an enabling environment that allows the sector to thrive. Clean cooking transforms lives by improving health, protecting the climate and environment, empowering women, and helping consumers save time and money. In alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals, CCA is working to achieve universal access to clean cooking by 2030.
The Senior Associate, Market Strengthening (Senior Associate) is an integral member of the CCA Market Strengthening Team, responsible for providing agreement and budget support to activities under CCA’s Venture Catalyst program. As a member of the Market Strengthening Team, s/he will be responsible for supporting the Venture Catalyst program’s four Relationship Managers, acting as the interlock between the Relationship Managers and internal CCA Operations, and the UN Foundation. There is also the potential for liaison with external technical assistance providers that have been selected to deliver projects, as well as the potential for engagement with their portfolio of ~30 companies.
This position requires effective internal communications around agreements, due diligence, compliance, budgeting and reporting on activity implementation. While CCA has invested time over the last few years revamping operational processes, they see this as a constantly evolving effort. This position will be a critical partner in helping the Venture Catalyst and Operations teams to continually find efficiencies and implement best practices for internal processes, controls, and budget management as they relate to portfolio company support and activities.
This is a full-time contract position based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Senior Manager, Market Strengthening Team
Contracts, Grants, and Agreements:
- In support of Venture Catalyst Relationship Managers and in partnership with companies, support in developing project concept notes for internal CCA’s approval process.
- In support of Venture Catalyst Relationship Managers and in partnership with companies and technical assistance providers, develop and execute agreements (contracts, grants, sponsorships, etc.) that align with programmatic objectives, external dependencies and timelines.
- Own and track contracts, grants, and agreements through the full life cycle from inception to execution to closeout.
- Maintain a strong understanding of donor compliance requirements and support with conducting partner due diligence.
- Liaise with CCA Operations Team and UN Foundation Contracts Team on agreements and maintain understanding of UN Foundation processes and procedures.
- Communicate with Venture Catalyst team on the status of agreements and provide guidance on processes.
- Maintain agreement data in Salesforce and serve as internal subject matter resource on Salesforce administration.
- Support monthly operations reporting to leadership by compiling operations metrics and status reports.
- Provide ad-hoc support to the Venture Catalyst Relationship Managers and broader Venture Catalyst program team.
- In support of the Venture Catalyst Lead, provide support to the Venture Catalyst team on budget balances and reporting.
- Support in periodic donor budget and financial reporting, including quarterly IATI reporting.
- Assist in ad hoc reporting to senior leadership.
- Support the implementation of projects with partners including, where relevant, in-person meetings with companies and partners based in Nairobi.
- Support the continued development and implementation of operational processes within the Venture Catalyst and Operations teams.
- Along with the full Operations Team, conduct operations training and support in onboarding of new hires.
- Assist in the operational standup of new projects.
- Assist in launching and maintaining CCA’s project management tool, ClickUp.
- Respond to ad hoc operational requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
They seek applicants with an interest in and ability to proactively manage multiple requests and jump in where needed. They are interested in applicants who have experience in providing programmatic support through agreement development and budget management. They seek candidates who can cultivate effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide variety of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
The candidate should have existing employment authorization in Kenya, as the Clean Cooking Alliance will not provide work permit sponsorship for this role.
Most of all, they are seeking the following qualities which are fundamental to success, including:
- This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya, in support of Venture Catalyst team members in Europe, Africa and the United States and liaising with CCA’s Operations team based in the United States. As such the ability to flexibly work across time zones is a requirement for this role.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (business administration, management, finance, commerce, international studies, development, public policy, public administration) required, with 2-4 years of applicable work experience.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to understand and translate agreements and budgets.
- Energetic and positive attitude.
- Solutions-oriented and able to manage and advance multiple tasks and responsibilities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Problem-solver with a proactive, no-task-is-too-small nature, who takes initiative and displays a ‘growth mindset’.
- Team-oriented, supportive work style, and able to work independently.
- Excellent communicator, able to synthesize and convey complex information clearly.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to learn new systems and collaboration platforms efficiently.
- Proficiency in Salesforce.
- Proficiency in Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), with particular emphasis on ability to create compelling and professional PowerPoint materials.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.