Senior Associate, Membership
- Global Impact Investing Network
- New York
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing globally. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. They can be made in both emerging and developed markets, and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon the circumstances.
The GIIN addresses systemic barriers to effective impact investing by building critical infrastructure and developing activities, education, and research that attract more investment capital to the sector. To this end, the GIIN currently runs a number of programs which are described in detail on our website, including GIIN Membership, IRIS, Research, ImpactBase, and the Fund Manager Training Program.
The GIIN Membership is the largest community of impact investors globally, with over 220 organizations across 33 countries representing asset owners, asset managers, and service providers. The Membership comprises two distinct networks:
(1) The Investors’ Council (IC) is an invitation-only leadership group for active, large-scale impact investors. It provides a forum for experienced investors to strengthen practice, collaborate to address shared challenges, and contribute to industry development. There are currently 54 IC members, including foundations, development finance institutions, banks, family offices, pension funds, and asset managers.
(2) The Network Membership provides a platform for like-minded organizations to deepen their engagement with the impact investment industry. Various offerings – such as events/webinars, working groups, information resources, and facilitated introductions – are provided to facilitate networking, sharing of experience, and collaborative problem-solving. There are over 180 Network Members, including asset owners, asset managers, and service providers.
Current areas of focus across the GIIN Membership include financing access to basic services for underserved consumers, developing new/alternative investment products for impact investing, solutions for blending commercial and philanthropic capital, environmental or climate-related investing, and the mobilization of institutional capital for impact investing.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The GIIN is seeking a Senior Associate on the Membership Team to lead one or more core content streams (e.g. program track or investor-led working group) and to manage relationships with Network Members. The ideal candidate for the role will have demonstrated experience in project management, client-facing roles, and an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. This position reports to the Network Membership manager.
• Development and management of program tracks, industry events, and other membership offerings
o Working with the Manager, develop value proposition and strategy for the membership and translate this into new investor offerings that respond to the needs and priorities of GIIN members and the broader market
o Develop and manage a portfolio of membership activities and information resources, including:
Environmental investing program track: a content stream providing a suite of activities for members investing, or planning to invest in, climate change solutions, such as sustainable forestry, access to energy, and sustainable agriculture.
Annual member convenings: 2-hour to 2-day conferences attracting up to 100 members to network and share ideas and solutions for impact investing. Key responsibilities could include developing and executing the speaker panels as well as managing event logistics.
Additional or new activities focused on emerging topics in impact investing, such as blended capital, gender-lens investing, or financing the Sustainable Development Goals.
o Serve as lead vis-à-vis the investment community and other GIIN teams in relation to the portfolio of work listed above.
• Relationship management
o Manage and cultivate member relationships with existing Network Members as well as participants in select programming tracks and working groups
o Participate in recruiting new members for the Network Membership
• Event management and operations: Assist with event logistics as needed, such as invitation outreach, vendor coordination, and overall project management
• Data management and knowledge-sharing:
o Track and update member information and engagement in Salesforce and in other formats as needed
o Generate reports to share progress on membership activities or disseminate information on organizations within membership network
• Additional responsibilities as needed.
The Membership Senior Associate must have demonstrated relationship management and strong project management skills. The Senior Associate must also be highly responsible, collaborative, professional, resourceful, and flexible. The ideal candidate is a problem-solver, a people person, a creative and strategic thinker adept at identifying market trends and translating them into value propositions for the GIIN Membership. Familiarity with financial instruments and investment concepts is highly valued, but not required.
• Interest in, and ideally understanding of the impact investing sector and/or the traditional financial sector
o Experience working in finance is a benefit though not required
o Specific knowledge of sustainable forestry, sustainable agriculture, access to energy, gender lens investing, or blended capital is a plus
• Experience cultivating and managing relationships
• Ability to facilitate groups and discussions in order to mobilize participants and build momentum and ownership around specific issue or goal
• Strong oral and written communication skills, with public speaking/presentation experience preferred
• Ability to speak confidently and knowledgeably in areas with less familiarity; adaptable and dynamic in face of changing themes
• Ability to identify trends and opportunities and to craft and sell value propositions
• Expert project manager with strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Event planning experience strongly preferred
• Team-orientation, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
• Good attitude – flexibility and willingness to pitch in
• Intellectual drive, thinking about big issues, what makes and moves markets, what inspires people
• Proactive problem-solver who excels in environments with limited direction and supervision
• Ability to work outside of normal business hours at times of peak project flow
• Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite required; experience with Salesforce a plus
• 5 or more years of relevant work experience
LOCATION: Full-time position, based in New York, NY.
COMPENSATION: Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 15, 2017
State “Membership Senior Associate_First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we strongly encourage early applications.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an equal opportunity employer.