Senior Capitalization Associate
- Durham, NC
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
Self-Help is a leading national community development financial institution (CDFI) headquartered in Durham, NC. Founded in 1980, Self-Help has provided over $7 billion in financing to 131,000 families, individuals and businesses underserved by traditional financial institutions. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by financing hundreds of homebuyers each year, as well as nonprofits, child care centers, community health facilities, public charter schools, and residential and commercial real estate projects. The Self-Help family of non-profit organizations includes North Carolina’s Self-Help Credit Union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union, Self-Help Ventures Fund and the Center for Responsible Lending, a national policy and advocacy organization addressing abusive lending practices. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 129,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago and Florida and offers a full range of financial products and services. Learn more at www.self-help.org, www.self-helpfcu.org and www.responsiblelending.org.
Self-Help is seeking a Senior Capitalization Associate to join our team in Durham, NC. The Senior Capitalization Associate is responsible for raising debt and equity to support Self-Help’s mission driven programs and growth, including identifying opportunities, preparing proposals, and negotiating terms and conditions. This position will also manage funder relationships, including completing routine funder reporting and serving as an ambassador of Self-Help at industry conferences and meetings and will build systems and coordinate staff teams to accomplish capitalization goals.
Lead and support fundraising activities to raise needed capital for Self-Help’s mission driven initiatives including:
• Developing new funding opportunities with banks, foundations, insurance companies, etc.
• Investigating funding opportunities with active and potential funders
• Preparing proposals for debt and equity opportunities
• Negotiating terms and conditions with funders
• Managing or leading complex finance closing processes
Foster funding and partnership opportunities including:
• Maintaining relationships with active funders
• Supporting event planning and implementation
• Attending industry conferences and meetings to provide greater exposure of Self-Help to potential funders and the CDFI industry and to learn from industry best practices.
Ensure funder compliance and reporting requirements are met including:
• Documenting and tracking commitments to active funders
• Preparing quarterly and annual reports for active funders
• Providing support for in-depth annual reviews and audits
• Support or manage program compliance on various funding awards.
Monitor program team activities and funding needs to ensure actions are consistent with funding and board direction.
Support program teams in generating high quality program information and managing program compliance on various funding awards.
Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent relevant experience.
• 5 years of financial management, legal, program management, lending or capitalization experience.
• Experience in negotiating terms of legal agreements.
• Ability to learn and effectively present Self-Help’s financial position and mission impacts.
• Ability to dissect and prioritize value of funding opportunities.
• Ability to manage internal working groups to determine funding priorities.
• Ability to develop and maintain credible and trusting relationships with internal and external partners.
• Strong ability to promote Self-Help through writing, presentations and networking
• Ability to effectively plan, organize and prioritize multiple tasks and/or projects to meet deadlines.
• Ability to self-motivate, identify challenges and opportunities and coordinate team responses.
• Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
• Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability and willingness to travel up to 20%.
• Graduate degree.
• 10+ years’ experience of financial management, legal, program management, lending or capitalization experience.
• Experience working in the community development sector, in the CDFI industry, and/or with tax credit programs.
• Knowledge of accounting, ability to read and analyze financial statements required and ability to create and interpret financial projections.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, send resume and cover letter, describing why you would like and are a fit for this position, to email@example.com. Please include the position title as the subject. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, gender, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation
Location: Durham, NC
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org