Senior Communications Consultant, DIGITAX Programme
- International Centre for Tax and Development
- The consultant can be based anywhere in the world, as this is a remote position. The focus of the work is international, and primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. Some travel can be expected, although not frequently.
- Job Type
- This is a full time consultancy contract, to begin as soon as possible and continue until March 31st, 2024.
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “DIGITAX Comms – Your Name”
- Where to Apply
|The International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) is looking to hire a skilled and motivated Senior Communications Consultant to lead on the design and execution of the communications and engagement strategy for the DIGITAX research programme.
DIGITAX is a three-year research programme funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. With the rapid expansion of mobile money and other digital financial services (DFS), as well as the increased relevance of digital IDs across Africa and other lower-income countries, the DIGITAX programme aims to generate knowledge and evidence to support governments in overcoming the challenges and leveraging the opportunities presented in two main areas:
The first is the design of appropriate and effective taxation of DFS and its providers, which can impact the development of these markets and financial inclusion.
– Working closely with DIGITAX researchers to identify key messages and strategise on the dissemination of research findings and policy recommendations
£45,000 – £60,000 per annum, negotiable depending on experience and fit for the role
– Undergraduate degree
– Post-graduate degree, professional certification or equivalent professional experience in communications, journalism or other relevant subject
– Understanding of current thinking and practice in communications to achieve research and policy impact
– Knowledge and interest in international development issues, with knowledge of digital finance, financial inclusion, and taxation and public policy desirable
– Strong knowledge of the use and application of digital technologies in communications
– Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
– Proven knowledge in audience mapping and analytics to target, measure, and report on reach and impact
– Proven strategic planning skills, ability to create a vision and execute it
– Strong all-round communication skills, including verbal and written communication skills
– Editing and proofreading skills
– A good grasp of design principles for various types of media
– Demonstrated experience using all major social media platforms
– Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues and partners at all levels of seniority and in cross cultural environments
– Ability to assimilate complex research or other material quickly
– Ability to identify and synthesise key findings and messages
– Professional fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of French or other African languages is desirable.
– At least 5 years’ experience in communications including:
– Working in the international development, nonprofit, public policy or international research sectors
– Developing and delivering communication strategies and outputs, including the production of multimedia materials
– Liaising with the media and handling press enquiries
– Creating a social media strategy as part of wider communications plan
– Project management experience, including strategic planning and financial management.
– Supporting high-profile events
– Experience working in the African context, in a role relating to public policy and engaging with government officials is desirable
– A team player with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and a pro-active approach to work
– A self-starter who can develop and execute ideas through their own initiative and work at a high level of autonomy
– An excellent coordinator, with the ability to make links between issues and organisations, and to build relationships with people at all levels and from diverse backgrounds.
– A creative and entrepreneurial thinker who can identify opportunities for communications and engagement activities
– Highly organised with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines, as well as pay attention to detail and ensure the quality of published outputs