Senior Community Development Fellow for Mercado Global
- Mercado Global
- Panajachel, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Contact Information
Mercado Global is a social enterprise with an innovative approach to fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Guatemala. By providing business development support and connecting artisan cooperatives to sales opportunities in the U.S. on an unprecedented scale, Mercado Global is helping its partner artisans to be a source of change in global sourcing practices.
Our Community Based Education Program provides the training and support indigenous women artisans need to build their own community-owned businesses, develop their financial and leadership capabilities, and provide a better future for their families. Our team of trainers conduct classes bi-weekly in each of our partner communities. Curriculum content includes Business Development & Entrepreneurship, Women’s Leadership, Financial Literacy, and Health & Nutrition.
Position Overview: Mercado Global is seeking a 6 to 12 month fellow to support the build of our Community Based Education Program. The fellow will work with our Guatemala Programs Director to implement an improved monitoring & evaluation system, improve core curriculum, and update planning, program content, and program management. The senior fellow will also help manage and build our Programs Advisory Board and supervise fellows supporting curriculum development. The Senior Fellow will help establish and manage strategic partnerships with other organizations and institutions operating in Guatemala. We are seeking Spanish speaking applicants with a background and training in designing, running and evaluating programs in rural communities.
Please note this position is located in our office in Panajachel, Guatemala and requires a 6 to 12-month commitment. This is a paid fellowship.
Key Responsibilities in collaboration with the Training Coordinators:
- Improve current curriculum and help develop top priority new curriculum (curricula is written in Spanish)
- Improve monitoring and evaluation process for programs and curriculum
- Assist in implementing and managing new database housing all program and tracking information
- Identify and assess potential local NGO & INGO partners
- Assist with evaluation development and implementation in areas such as nutrition, women\’s health (family planning, cervical cancer, stress), hygiene, women\’s empowerment, and leadership.
- Proficiency in Spanish, verbal and written, is required
- Experience developing and conducting trainings in rural communities
- Experience program and staff management experience
- Strong organizational, strategic and analytical abilities
- Preferred knowledge or interest in at least one of the following issue areas: market access, rural business development, financial literacy, and health & nutrition
- Undergraduate degree required, relevant graduate degree a plus
- Experience in database management
- Full-time commitment required
- Experience working in Latin American a plus, but not required
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission