Senior Insight Manager
- Where to Apply
We’re a fast growing nonprofit that harnesses the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review
ABOUT THE ROLE: SENIOR INSIGHT MANAGER
You will work closely with the Director of Impact and Engagements, to enhance existing programs, design processes, create strategies, and build internal and external data science teams. In this highly visible and high impact role, you’ll oversee our existingDataCorps projects and design them for maximal impact.
You will be the marshall of our core practice, exploring new ways for data science to make an impact on the social sector and devising clever ways to use our army of volunteer data scientists for the greater good. You will bring fresh vision to ways huge datasets, new technologies, and novel partnerships can work to create social change.
You will lead teams in the journey from idea to insight using a combination of discovery stages, user experience mapping, human centered design thinking, and data translation methodologies. And, you will easily translate between our partners and volunteer data scientists because you are well versed in both social sector and data “languages”.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL BE:
• Managing a portfolio of projects in DataKind’s flagship program, the DataCorps.
• Leading day-to-day team project operations & activities, and ensuring progress meets anticipated deadlines.
• Writing and overseeing project briefs for DataCorps project portfolio and managing scope creep.
• Scoping projects with the Programs team and developing project plans and timelines.
• Vetting, training, and pairing our volunteers onto project teams.
• Planning and executing project kick-off meetings and overseeing client and volunteer check-ins and end of phase presentations.
• Consistently communicating and managing expectations of partner organizations and volunteers throughout the entire project life cycle.
• Working closely with the Director of Impact and Engagement on developing and continuously improving our processes and our products.
• Frequently soliciting feedback from partner organizations & volunteers to execute action toward continuous improvement.
WHO YOU ARE…
• A Management Expert. You are a superb project and people manager, and you’ve been one for 4-7 years. You have a positive track record of managing full life-cycle tech projects, and love nothing more than successfully getting a project from the start line to the finish line.
o Managing tech teams, creating Gantt charts, managing scope creep, creating project planning templates, and monitoring key results are all familiar tools in your arsenal.
• Data savvy. You know your way around the “data stack” – R, Python, MySQL, and their brethren. You can get the data you need wherever it lives, organize it, and explore it.
o You know your machine learning. You could not only argue when to use a decision tree over an SVM but you’ve probably written a few custom algorithms yourself.
• Extremely organized. Whether you are a Type A in your personal life, you certainly are in your work life. You don’t let any details get lost and you make the container store look disorganized.
• Volunteer empathetic. You’ve had dozens of volunteering experiences – as a volunteer or as the organizer – and are intimately familiar with what it is like to be giving up your free time for something you love.
• Highly adaptable. You can work any project, with any team. You have strong humility and are driven to ensure that your team succeeds.
• Constantly evolving. Continuous improvements is a mantra of yours. You will always be contributing learnings to the team so we can make constant updates to our process and our product.
• An Impact-driven professional: You are committed to leveraging your expertise in a space that marries the rigor of the private sector, the responsibility of the public sector, and the passion of the nonprofit sector.
Bonus if you have:
• Non-profit / NGO and volunteer management experience.
• Experience managing data science projects and/or detailed knowledge of data science.
• Advanced degree in applied statistics, mathematics, computer science, or other quantitative area.
HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE ROLE…
What You\’ll Achieve With Us
• You will work to achieve our mission to harness the power of data science in the service of humanity.
• You will support our team, sponsors, funders, and partners who are mission-aligned to reduce human suffering.
• You will contribute ideas and perspectives to our long term goals, helping us to achieve our goals together.
• You will be part of a workplace that truly values diversity.
How You\’ll Grow With Us
• You will hone your expertise in project and program management, cultivating your niche in our portfolio of projects.
• You will strengthen your relationship management skills as you dedicate the majority of your time to empowering our partner organizations.
Tangible and Intangible Perks of Working Here
• You will be welcomed into a team culture that sets high standards, values new ideas and innovative approaches, and supports individual growth.
• You will join an open and casual work space where colleagues challenge you to learn and grow, are open to collaboration, and expect you bring a sense of humor with your ‘A’ game.
• You will enjoy our awesome new offices in NYC which are located within Civic Hall.
• You will receive a comprehensive and growing benefits package with room for growth.
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind\’s core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skillsets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle wicked problems. We encourage candidates with non-traditional backgrounds to apply and to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience wherever appropriate.
DataKind is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically welcome and accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religious creed, color, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition as defined under State law, disability, genetic information, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and/or local laws and ordinances.
HOW WILL WE KNOW YOU’RE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE ROLE?
Priority will be given to those applications submitted by March 14; therefore we encourage you to submit yours soon!
The overall hiring process will look to follow this anticipated timeline:
• Mid March: Initial phone interview with the ReWork team.
• Late March: Phone interview with DataKind team.
• Early April: Candidates will be asked to complete a trial project assessing their skills.
• Mid April: Finalists will come in-person for half-day, multi-team member interviews in New York. Candidate references will also be checked at this step.
• Mid/End of April: Offer finalized.
• End of April/Early May: Anticipated start date.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE SELECTED?
You’ll be invited to join our growing team in NYC. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at email@example.com. We look forward to reading your application!