Senior Manager – Investment and Portfolio Management
- Upaya Social Ventures
- Bangalore, India
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Submit a one-page cover letter stating your interest/passion to work for Upaya and how you would be a good fit for the role, along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where to Apply
Upaya is looking to hire a Portfolio Manager to oversee Upaya’s portfolio of early-stage investments. Upaya seeks a highly detail-oriented, experienced impact investment professional to identify new opportunities aligned with Upaya’s mission, conduct due diligence, structure and present new deals to Upaya’s Investment Committee, and regularly monitor existing investees to ensure adherence to long-term social and financial milestones. The ideal candidate will be grounded in finance and investment expertise, but also bring a passion for working closely with entrepreneurs and provide hands-on support and strategic guidance as they grow their ventures. The candidate should bring strong analytical capabilities, project management, and relationship management skills to the role.
The Portfolio Manager will report to the India Country Director, and work closely with the Chief Impact Officer (CIO).
– Collaborate with all members of the India team to identify new investment opportunities, conduct due diligence, and structure deals for consideration by Upaya’s Board and Investment Committee
– Work closely with entrepreneurs to determine valuation, identify co-investors, and negotiate appropriately with all stakeholders to draft term sheets, investment agreements
– Design key indicators that best capture the financial and social performance of Upaya’s portfolio, build tools to gather the needed information in an effective manner, conduct real-time analysis, and assist with visualization and external reporting when needed
– Liaise with Upaya’s partners on a quarterly basis, monitor their progress against financial and operational milestones, and recommend metrics that capture and communicate overall enterprise health and stability
– Review financial statements of portfolio partners and highlight key performance metrics and trends across categories
– Provide guidance to partner companies on follow-on investment rounds and lead the structuring of exits for Upaya when appropriate
– Work closely with CIO to aggregate all social and financial indicators and assemble holistic understanding of Upaya’s performance
Master’s Degree strongly preferred: MBA or Master’s in Finance, Accounting. Must demonstrate proficiency in financial statement analysis, investment structuring, financial modelling / valuation, and exits.
Skills & Experience
– 3 – 5 years of post-qualification work experience as an investment professional in an impact investing organization
– Excellent analytical and organization skills
– Competence in MS Office is required with a high level of proficiency in MS Excel; experience with Google Sheets and Tableau a plus
– Strong client relationship skills, especially with regards to working closely with early-stage entrepreneurs to troubleshoot problems and scale their ventures
– Demonstrated ability to manage projects and diverse stakeholders
– Ability to work and communicate with cross country teams
– Strong written and verbal communication (fluency required in English and Hindi)
– Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated environment
– Comfortable with travel to partner locations especially far-away places like north-eastern states of India and impoverished communities
– Strong work ethic, attention to detail and steadfast commitment to Upaya’s values
How to apply:
Submit a one-page cover letter stating your interest/passion to work for Upaya and how you would be a good fit for the role, along with your resume to email@example.com. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis.
Upaya creates dignified jobs for the poorest of the poor by building scalable businesses with investment and consulting support. Since 2011, Upaya has supported 16 small and growing businesses in India with investments and expertise. Upaya partners have created over 13,000 jobs. With offices in Seattle, Washington and Bangalore, India, Upaya has committed to a goal of helping its partners create 15,000 jobs by the end of 2019.