Senior Portfolio Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Location: San Francisco, CA
Type: Full Time
Min Experience: Mid Level
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. Our companies have improved the lives of hundreds of millions of poor people by providing them high-quality, affordable water, sanitation, healthcare, housing, energy, agriculture and education. We offer leadership programs that bring together the world’s best talent to focus their skills, capacity and moral imagination to solve the world’s toughest problems of poverty. And we invest in the spread of ideas to share what we are learning, in order change the way the world tackles poverty. We see each investment as a provocation, a chance to support entrepreneurs who dare to build solutions where markets have failed and traditional aid has fallen short.
- Founded in 2001, over $100 million invested to date
- A 100-person global team; offices in Colombia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Pakistan, UK & US
- Named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
- We’re equally serious about impact measurement and scaling companies. Our Lean Data approach helps our companies understand their customers; by doing so, they can speak with greater confidence about the impact they’re having and what it will take to meet their customer’s needs.
ABOUT ACUMEN AMERICA
Acumen America is a 3-person team building an emerging portfolio to tackle poverty in the United States. The team launched in 2015 and is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments in game-changing social enterprises that serve the poor across three portfolio sectors: financial inclusion, workforce development, and healthcare. To date, Acumen America has closed on two investments and plans to invest in five to six companies each year.
ABOUT THE ROLE – SENIOR PORTFOLIO ASSOCIATE
The Acumen America team is looking to welcome a Senior Portfolio Associate to join our San Francisco-based team. As a key member of the Acumen America team, you will evaluate new investment opportunities, structure deal terms, make recommendations to the Investment Committee, and support the broader development of Acumen America.
You will actively identify and find investment opportunities, research new leads, build relationships with thought leaders, and serve as the initial point of contact for entrepreneurs. You’ll assess leads against Acumen’s investment thesis using your deep knowledge of, and skills in, finance and investing to evaluate the growth and return potential of social enterprises — from both a financial and social impact perspective. You’ll then clearly communicate your analysis and recommendations for investment to the Acumen America Investment Committee.
You will also support the team’s Director and Associate Director with research and analysis related to Acumen America’s investment portfolio and its performance, fundraising and strategic partnership initiatives, and management of portfolio operations.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES…
Research & Evaluation
Representing Acumen America’s brand and investing strategy externally in meetings and at conferences.
- Identifying, cultivating, and reviewing a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor in the United States, in partnership with the Associate Director of Portfolio.
- Conducting thorough due diligence and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation review and structuring.
- Preparing, presenting, and maintaining detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen America’s Investment Committee and Board of Directors.
- Working with the Associate Director of Portfolio to analyze and document data-driven explanations for portfolio decisions.
- Extracting and documenting investment-specific and general insights.
- Analyzing metrics data to identify patterns, and channeling that data to outputs for marketing and fundraising efforts.
- Overseeing portfolio data systems to ensure accurate data on pipeline and portfolio under-management.
- Producing discrete knowledge and research materials based on lessons from Acumen’s portfolio.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- An Exceptional Financial Analyst – You have 3-5 years of related experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management. You possess superior financial modeling and business analysis skills.
- Bonus if you also have experience with due diligence and deal execution with early stage ventures.
- An Adaptable Self-Motivator – You proactively take initiative. You thrive in ambiguity and handle fast-paced environments with ease, never missing a deadline nor losing your cool.
- A Creative Problem Solver – You’re industrious and a deep researcher. You can do a lot with a little. You’re persistent and resilient, and view roadblocks as simply new obstacles and puzzles to solve.
- An Inquisitive Detective – You’re unequivocally inquisitive. You’re always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting.
- A Clear & Active Communicator – You communicate exceptionally, both in writing and verbally. You build strong relationships quickly and possess a strong ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner.
- A Mission-Aligned Team Player – You’re fully committed to, and enthusiastic about, Acumen’s mission and business model. You practice our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, and respect.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE SELECTED AS THE NEW SENIOR PORTFOLIO ASSOCIATE?
You’ll be invited to join our growing team in San Francisco. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your application!
Please complete your application to the role of Senior Portfolio Associate at Acumen through this link – http://bit.ly/1TWntdT. Although applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis, priority will be given to those submitted by 11:59pm EST on Monday, June 6th, 2016; therefore we encourage you to forward yours soon!
The application will be a 2-part process. If your background and experience align, you will be asked to complete a short-answer questionnaire designed to replace a cover letter. Please take your time with them and copy in your answers from a separate document.
Next, if you are chosen as a finalist, you will first be interviewed by ReWork and then by Acumen.
The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm details of your work history and performance.