Senior Program Manager, Francophone West Africa – VOTO Mobile
- VOTO Mobile
- Dakar, Senegal
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
About the Role
VOTO has been successful garnering a lot of interest for our mobile engagement services in Francophone West Africa, in particular in Senegal, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and the DRC. We are implementing projects in collaboration with senior staff at multilateral donors and international NGOs in a number of sectors: health, agriculture, governance, etc. We are looking for a Senior Project Manager who can ensure that we are fulfilling our obligations on all of these projects, and exceeding our partner’s expectations. The position will require a lot of travel within the region, possibly more than 50%, and the ability to manage 3-5 projects at once.
Specifically, the responsibilities include:
- Manage our largest projects in the region in terms of timelines, budgets and risks.
- Communicate with our partners to update them on our progress – be VOTO’s ambassador with these organizations.
- Be the intermediary between our Program Design team, our Platform Operations team, our Technical team, mobile network operators, subcontractors, etc.
- Problem solve the inevitable challenges to ensure that regardless of roadblocks, the projects move forward to achieve results.
- Contribute thought leadership and creativity to ensure projects are well designed, this may involve pioneering new methodologies.
- Create and execute an ‘insights plan’ for each project – a series of experiments we will be able to run in the context of a project to improve our results.
- Lookout for new partnerships to increase the impact of our projects.
- 5+ years of work experience. Bachelor\’s degree required, Master\’s degree preferred.
- Excellent/native speaker in both French and English
- Experience living and working in Francophone West Africa desirable
- Experience of 2+ years in as many of these contexts as possible: ICT4D, business development, startup, INGO, donor, social enterprise, mobile network operator.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, and attention to details.
- High energy, drive and personal standards.
- Demonstrated self-management/
entrepreneurial skills, adaptability and resourcefulness. In order words, getting ministerial approval for a project in the morning, and manually scratching 100 airtime cards in the afternoon.
- Sense of humor; charming and fun personality.
VOTO Mobile is a fast growing social enterprise with offices in Canada, the US, Ghana, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Kenya and India. Our services help partners distribute and collect information by engaging difficult-to-reach populations through their mobile phones. We specialize in interactive voice calls (IVR) and SMS in local languages, instantly reaching across distance and literacy barriers. We serve a wide variety of use-cases including: journalists who run national public interest surveys, rural clinics who distribute maternal health education, policy makers who study vaccine supply chains, economic development organizations who reach out to farmers, urban planners who monitor water distribution access, and academics who research the effect of public health interventions. We also have an API used to empower entrepreneurs and higher-level mobile service providers.
In the 3 years since our launch, our product has been used by 500 organizations to reach over 5.6 million people across 40+ countries. We offer the most robust platform in the industry and work across all sectors. We have pioneered the set-up of international and local connections that allow us to call nearly every phone on the planet. Further, through conducting a number of tests, we have developed a large number of best practices that help our partners to push the boundaries of mobile engagement effectiveness and impact. This knowledge will soon be shared online in our “VOTO University”.
Some of our most active global users include: the World Bank, UNICEF, Stanford University, McKinsey & Company, Facebook, MIT, IDEO.org, Camfed, ONE Campaign, Innovations for Poverty Action, Vodafone Foundation, Farm Radio International, FHI360, and Equal Access.
Our culture and you
We believe that “More Voices leads to Better Choices”. This means giving valuable information to poor households to help them make better lifestyle decisions, and it also means giving a voice to those same households to influence national and development policy in their country. Three billion people are disconnected from the information economy and VOTO Mobile is using simple mobile technology to bridge the pervasive literacy, distance and infrastructure gaps.
VOTO Mobile is a technology startup. We are proud of our product, the leader in the M4D space. We are the only platform that integrates both IVR and SMS, that is set up to call every phone on the planet, and has a unique “smart delivery node” that allows organizations to perform their mobile engagement programing even in the context of non-reliable internet connections. We are at the cutting edge of M4D.
We currently have almost 50 employees, the majority of which are based in Ghana. We have a near even gender split, and a wide diversity of backgrounds. We are 3.5 years old and have been doubling our staff every year – something we are also hoping to maintain. Our ambition and growth creates a need for reliable people who can step in and be successful in their area of responsibility, and build the systems needed to grow that area.
We have a very supportive team culture. We have a learning approach and understand that most of us are working outside of our comfort zone. If you ask anyone at VOTO what their favorite part of working here, they’ll say the team… even those who are working remotely!
If you are interested in helping 3 billion people get connected to the information economy, please consider joining VOTO. VOTO Mobile is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and are excited to receive applications from female candidates and diverse backgrounds.
Send your CV and any other useful information to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the wording “Senior Program Manager, FWA” in the subject line of your email.
More information: www.votomobile.org/careers