Senior Program Officer – Center for Health Market Innovations
- Center for Health Market Innovations
- Contact Information
- Please send your cover letter, resume, salary range requirements and 2 writing samples to email@example.com and CC firstname.lastname@example.org
R4D seeks a Senior Program Officer for the Center for Health Market Innovations (CHMI). CHMI was established in 2010 to accelerate innovative health initiatives around the world by informing and connecting program managers, funders, researchers, and policy makers who strive to create better health markets for the poor. CHMI manages the world’s largest freely accessible web platform on programs improving the access, quality, and affordability of health care for the poor (found at www.HealthMarketInnovations.org). CHMI is centrally managed by R4D and relies on a broad network of in-country institutions and other formal and informal partners that collect and disseminate information; conduct analytical work and form and maintain partnerships and networks.
The SPO will play a key role in designing, managing, and implementing key aspects of CHMI’s work. Operating with substantial independence, the primary role of the SPO will be to lead the day-to-day project management and operations of the project and team. The SPO will oversee the implementation of CHMI’s information collection strategy, implementation of incentive structures for data provision, ongoing management of the CHMI web database, and development of new learning and adaptation activities to promote the diffusion of promising practices. The SPO will foster and manage strategic relationships with a wide range of project partners and collaborators with the goal of expanding CHMI’s reach and influence among global and in-country priority audiences. The SPO will also have an opportunity to shape and inform the future direction of CHMI’s work in developing vibrant health markets around the world and fostering enabling environments for innovation, including forming and maintaining relationships with current and new funders and managing ongoing fundraising efforts for CHMI’s next phase of work.
The SPO will work within a broader Innovations team at R4D which spearheads efforts across a variety of sectors including education, water and sanitation, and child protection. The SPO will be expected to work closely with colleagues across R4D’s growing Innovation’s portfolio ensuring that lessons learned and opportunities developed by CHMI serve to inform R4D’s broader Innovations work. The SPO will also collaborate with colleagues leading various aspects of R4D’s health systems and financing projects.
Responsibilities will encompass a range of managerial, analytic, and written/oral communications tasks, and are likely to include the following:
- Leading the development, implementation, and monitoring of project work plans and related planning efforts
- Coordinating day-to-day project operations, including team management and oversight of staff
- Leading the development of key work products and overseeing the completion of major project deliverables
- Developing knowledge management and communications strategies to support the dissemination, translation, and use of knowledge products that are produced
- Actively identifying, pursuing and managing strategic partnerships and collaborative relationships with other organizations with similar interests (e.g., donors and investors, data-sharing partners, affiliated communities of practice)
- Identifying, assessing, and planning for implementation of various potential additional activities that meet CHMI’s strategic priorities
- Monitoring and facilitating the execution of deliverables by collaborating partner institutions
- Leading key meetings and technical events, including developing agendas and background materials, making presentations, and developing summary reports of the proceedings and agreed follow-up actions
- Supporting research, analysis, writing, and publication of project reports
- Leading internal evaluation of how work is progressing on projects
- Presenting R4D’s work to internal and external audiences and identifying ways to expand current work
- Producing periodic progress reports and other materials requested by project funders
- Contributing to other project activities as appropriate
Given the nature of this project and the entrepreneurial environment of R4D, Senior Program Officers are expected to be self-starters who can work independently, exercise sound judgment, and deliver results. R4D aims to hire and nurture talented, creative, energetic people who are passionate about making a difference for the poor in developing countries, while capable of taking an analytic and pragmatic view toward development challenges. We seek people who fit well into our organizational model.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication and presentation skills. Qualifications include:
- An advanced degree in public policy, business, economics, international public health or other relevant discipline
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience in a consulting firm, social enterprise, foundation, international development institution, applied research institution or other relevant organization
- Strong task manager with excellent people/team management skills
- Knowledge of and experience in one or more of the following areas: private sector health or other social sector activities in developing countries, social entrepreneurship and innovation, impact investing/social venture capital
- Familiarity with global health issues (e.g., health systems, health economics/financing, disease-specific programming, innovative health solutions)
- Experience working in or with public or private sector organizations in developing countries
- Experience creating partnerships and leading teams
- Entrepreneurial leader with experience conceptualizing, planning, and executing complex initiatives
- Structured thinker with excellent analytical skills and experience analyzing data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver compelling presentations
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated success managing numerous internal and external relationships in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, limited-structure environment
- Ability to set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Enthusiasm, energy, and composure under pressure
- Experience living or working abroad
- Willingness to travel internationally
R4D aims to hire and nurture talented, energetic people who are passionate about making a difference for the poor in developing countries, while capable of taking an analytic and pragmatic view toward development challenges. We seek people who fit well into our organizational model—a series of analysis-to-policy-to-action engagements. This model requires entrepreneurial people who exhibit both individual initiative and strong team behaviors. We aim to hire quick learners who are self-starters, give them maximum opportunities to stretch and grow quickly, and offer competitive salaries and benefits, with incentives for performance. We hope to groom our people for leadership positions within R4D and other public and private development institutions.