Senior Project Associate – Initiative to Catalyze Urban Innovations
- World Resources Institute
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- To apply, please email us a resume and 2 writing samples at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 June 2015.
The Initiative to Catalyze Urban Innovations at EMBARQ India / WRI Cities is looking to hire highly motivated individuals interested in start-ups that are solving problems of urbanization.
The Initiative to Catalyze Urban Innovations is run by a small team with varied experiences from starting and running their own business, to investment banking, research, and technology consulting. We are now looking to hire a Senior Project Associate. The scope of this role falls under the following:
· Transformative ideas: Research the potential and applicability of cutting edge ideas for implementation in an Indian context e.g. the potential of open data and ways to pay for transport.
· Ecosystem development: Create a platform and tools for entrepreneurs, engage with government agencies and regulators, and demystify mobility businesses to investors.
· Scale enterprises: Run our yearly Challenge to fund and support promising start-ups to scale.
Cities are expanding and so are problems of congestion, longer commute times, and emissions. Traditionally we have relied on government to solve these problems. However, the urban mobility sector is undergoing a fundamental transformation with entrepreneurs recognizing the business opportunity in addressing people’s demand for better mobility.
In 2014, $5.7 billion was invested in mobility companies globally. In India, $365 million was invested in the same year of which 60% was raised by hail-taxi models (e.g. Ola Cabs). Only a miniscule number of mobility businesses in other segments have been able to raise funding. Aside from funding, there is a clear need for regulatory reform, research, and business support for start-ups in this space.
In 2013-14, EMBARQ India ran the Rickshaw Rising Challenge to give entrepreneurs in the auto-rickshaw sector a chance to receive awards of $100,000 and 6-months support. Based on the success of this pilot, the Initiative to Catalyze Urban Innovation was set up. We are now expanding this work to bring elements of the enabling ecosystem together – early stage investment, business support, regulatory reform, and transformative ideas – to support new mobility enterprises.
You will be an integral part of the team and will support ongoing projects. In addition, you will be expected to develop, execute, and manage 2 – 3 projects in the following possible areas:
· Analyzing industry trends and business models, or
· Developing impact metrics, or
· Working with data, especially open data projects, or
· Developing a support program for entrepreneurs.
· Strong analytical writing skills. This is a very serious requirement. Final candidates will be required to take a writing test.
· Strong oral presentation skills, including the ability to simplify complex ideas.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills and persuasive abilities.
A Bachelor’s degree is a must. Preference for a liberal arts or technology degree.
Key Attributes and Credentials essential for the role:
· 3-5 years of progressive professional work experience in one of the following areas:
o Analyzing industry trends and emerging business models
o Experience in the impact investing
o Experience in technology consulting with an ability to work with data
· You are interested in urbanization-led business opportunities
· You are able to make decisions independently to drive the strategy forward
· You are able to prioritize and execute in the face of competing demands
· You are happy to work on strategy as well as on administrative tasks!
Salary and Benefits
Salary shall commensurate with experience and skills. WRI India offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Employee type: Full Time Employee
How to apply
To apply, please email us a resume at email@example.com by 15 June 2015. We look forward to hearing from you!
Final candidate will be required to take a writing test.
Finalists will need to submit 2 writing samples.
*The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org/wri) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI’s policy research and analysis.
Established in 1982, WRI is a globally by policymakers, non-governmental organizations, and corporate leaders.
WRI’s reputation is grounded in its excellent analysis, non-partisan approach, and high-impact results. We measure our success based on how our work helps to create real-world change on the ground—and approach we call “Managing for Results.”
WRI’s work is united by and driven by our values: Innovation, Integrity, Urgency, Independence, and Respect.
WRI fosters a culture of innovative ideas, working collaboratively, and thinking independently. WRI employees are driven by the organization’s mission and have the satisfaction of helping to create a more prosperous and healthy planet.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.