SME Advisor (Small IPP), Nairobi
- GVEP International
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
GVEP is an international advisory organization supporting the energy sector in Sub-Saharan Africa. We deliver demand-driven, practical, and customised support to SMEs, project developers, social enterprises, and micro-enterprises that provide renewable energy services to off-grid communities.
Our team of 90 people includes primarily locally based professionals who are supported by a small head office in London. The organization is comprised of:
- Country Teams in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Senegal. These teams provide business and technical skills training and mentorship to micro-enterprises that deliver “last-mile” energy services, and support them to access finance from MFIs, SACCOs and local banks.
- Advisory Services team in Nairobi that provides consulting and advisory to SMEs, project developers and social enterprises, and supports them to secure corporate/project financing.
- Management team based in our London HQ and Nairobi regional head office.
GVEP is funded by major development agencies e.g Sida (Sweden), DfID (UK), World Bank, USAID, Barclays, OFID, and EU. Our FY2014 revenues were ~$5m, and since our founding in 2006, we have leveraged $55+ million of grant funding to support more than 3,000 businesses.
This role is within Advisory Services, a Nairobi-based team of professionals from a range of private sector backgrounds including investment banking and private equity, management consulting, law, entrepreneurship, infrastructure project development, micro-finance and engineering.
Our clients are primarily based in East Africa and range in the stage of their development from ideation/pre-pilot to scale-up. We work with companies employing a range of business models and technologies. Many are developing small-scale assets for power generation and distribution (e.g. through mini-grids) using solar, biomass gasification, or hydropower, while others produce or distribute solar lights or home systems, clean cook-stoves or biomass-based fuels.
Our common near-term aim is to help our client develop into a business that will withstand a due diligence process designed to assess its financial, operational and technical robustness. Our ultimate goal is to increase the likelihood that the company matures into a profitable commercial enterprise that plays a meaningful role in electrifying the 1.3 billion people currently without power. In short, we work with companies to increase their prospects for survival and growth.
We help companies develop their business model, enhance operational execution, and access financing. Engagements typically consist of some combination of management consulting or capital advisory, market research, and assistance developing new partnerships. Many clients find significant value in our knowledge of, and preparation for, financiers – from commercial private equity firms, to impact investors or donors.
We have completed more than 220 engagements with more than 112 companies, and our clients have raised a cumulative $83 million of debt, equity and grants since engaging with us.
- Providing advisory support to project developers on small IPP RE based (solar/small hydro/wind/biomass etc.) projects and helping them to make their project bankable.
- Reviewing and creating detailed project reports (DPR) for small IPP projects and review financial model.
- Conducting and preparing pre-feasibility of small IPP projects and also be able to review and provide feedback on PPA and other documentation.
- Negotiating with capital providers (debt/equity) to raise capital for the small IPP projects.
- Conducting advisory engagements (which span project development support, capital raising support, strategy consulting, investment readiness, partnership facilitation and “customized projects”) primarily with project developers but also renewable energy SMEs.
- Supporting clients to access financing, and using GVEP institutional knowledge and relationships with financiers, investment requirements, and transaction structures to advise clients and help them be successful in closing transactions.
- Developing pipeline projects that fit GVEP’s priorities/capabilities with current or new clients.
- Helping to develop GVEP’s internal processes and knowledge of technologies, business models, regulatory issues, financing process, etc.
- Delivering high quality work, with attention to detail and a focus on results.
- 5-10 years experience in renewable energy based (solar/small hydro/wind/biomass etc) small IPP (independent power producer) projects
- Experience of having worked on a small IPP project through its lifecycle from pre-feasibility to commissioning
- Have prepared a bankable DPR (detailed project report) from scratch and negotiated a PPA with a major utility
- Good team building and motivational skills with an ability to work with a diverse mix of professionals and deliver.
- Very strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong Financial Modelling Skills related to small IPP projects
- Ability to see the big picture and connect the dots.
- A can-do and collaborative mindset – comfortable with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving and entrepreneurial environment with a team from diverse backgrounds.
- Passionate about working in the impact space.
- Experience of working in Africa and/or developing countries preferred.
To apply, please send your CV, along with a cover letter to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The deadline for this position is 25th June 2016.
GVEP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.