Social Business Consultant Fellow
- Quezaltenango, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Alterna’s Fellowship Program is a trampoline for professionals who want to be on the frontline of the emerging fourth sector—social entrepreneurship. As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna plays a key role in converting entrepreneurs into change makers and creating an ecosystem of social entrepreneurship from the ground up in the region. Our Fellowship Program offers a unique opportunity for talented and pas-sionate professionals to get a hands-on experience supporting local entrepreneurs who lack access to high-quality business services. Utilizing a methodology built from six years of launch-ing our own social businesses and working directly with entrepreneurs in the community, our Fellows have successfully helped launch and grow over 500 social businesses in Guatemala.
“Social Business Consultant Fellows” support Alterna’s team in the “cultivation” process with entrepreneurs and businesses of various sectors and development stages, supporting them in business model development, market analysis, strategic and financial planning, impact model, and beyond.
Your scope of work will be tailored to fit your profile, after a deep assessment of your experience, skills and interest during the recruiting process. Your specific responsibilities can include:
• Facilitate business training workshops; including coordinating sessions, being a lead facilitator, managing logistics, following up with entrepreneurs and leading client relationship work
• Support entrepreneurs as they develop their business models and action plans, helping them assess and achieve their strategic goals for development
• Develop, build out and analyze social impact strategies for local entrepreneurs aiming to make a positive impact in their community
• Design expansion plans for advanced stage entrepreneurs, conducting market research, risk analyses and cost-benefit analyses with local experts and entrepreneurs
• Evaluate and develop Alterna\’s internal strategy and consulting methodology, helping to adjust and improve our cultivation program based on field experience
• Work directly with Alterna’s senior team to implement the development of the Cultivation program, including identifying, cultivating and retaining relationships and partnerships that lead to pipelines of qualified entrepreneurs
• Collect and produce content for Monitoring and Evaluation reports, measure and evalu-ate the social impact of clients\’ businesses
• Conduct research about innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship
• Assist in the program development to identify, attract and retain new and ongoing relationships and partnerships to source Alterna with highly qualified mentors, fellows, and interns
Our Fellows are professionals with 1 – 7 years of business or management experience seeking an opportunity to apply their skill sets and immerse themselves into the social entrepreneurship community in Guatemala. We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive in head first to problems and who don’t take no for an answer.
On paper, Alterna Fellows have at minimum:
• A degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Marketing and Sales, Education or Manage-ment; Pursuing or hold an MBA or MS is a major advantage
• 1 – 7 years of professional experience as an entrepreneur, or at a multinational organization, consulting firm, corporate entity, NGO or similar organization
• Advanced proficiency/fluency in Spanish (verbal and writing)
• Prior experience running training/capacity building programs, working with partnership building and relationship development in a business or educational setting is highly desired
• Familiarity with development issues and the context of entrepreneurship in Central Ameri-ca
• Awareness of cultural identity, patience and strong sense of empathy
• Strong analytical, business judgment and problem-solving skills
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• A leader who takes initiatives to solve problems with minimum resources
• Sense of humor, unquenchable curiosity and contagious energy
• Passion for social entrepreneurship and impact investing; you’ve read Small is Beautiful or The Lean Startup and are strongly committed to developing the fourth sector
• Proficiency in Office suite
• 6 – 10 month commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Supporting social SMEs in the field is not always easy. We´re looking for resourceful, flexible and creative individual. You’ll also need to enjoy working on your own and as part of the team, be proactive, be passionate about making a difference and have a sense of humor!
Please note that the first six months of all Fellowship opportunities with Alterna are self-funded by the Fellow. Fellows serve as our entrepreneurs\’ first impact investors, and our fellows’ investment of their talent and experience ensures that our clients receive the highest quality services, which often makes the difference for their success.
In return, Fellows live out a highly valuable experience:
• Gaining on the ground exposure to innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship, including key contextual insights on what the entrepreneurial process consists of in Central America
• Acquiring critical skills in business analysis, social impact strategies, organizational development, and more
• Connecting with key actors in the social entrepreneurship field in Central America through Alterna’s network
• Working with a team of young and passionate people from all over the world
• Being immersed in the Guatemalan culture
After the first six months, we can consider the possibility of offering a remuneration, depending on our financial resources and on your performance. Also note that Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our fellow pool as our primary source when hiring long-term full-time staff members.
To apply, please fill out the Fellows Application Form from our website and send it with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and the post you are applying for included in the subject of the email. We look forward to receiving your application!