Social Entrepreneur, Director of PALMIS Enèji S.A (Haiti)
- PALMIS Enèji S.A
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
PALMIS Enèji is a business launched in 2012 by the NGO Entrepreneurs du Monde. It aims to improve the living conditions of thousands of men and women in fuel poverty by giving them access to clean and affordable lighting and cooking solutions. PALMIS Enèji is doing this by developing a network of franchised micro entrepreneurs who distribute solar lamps, improved cookstoves and gas stoves in the most vulnerable neighborhoods of the capital, Port-au-Prince, and its outskirts. Until now more than 15 000 households have got access to these products thanks to PALMIS Enèji.
In 2015, PALMIS Enèji became PALMIS Enèji S.A, a social enterprise independent from Entrepreneurs du Monde. However, the latter remains the majority stakeholder of the enterprise. Two other investors, the Grameen Crédit Agricole Foundation and Yunus Social Business Haïti, also invested in the venture and are part of the Board of Directors. PALMIS Enèji is thus entering into a new development phase, aiming to double in size by 2017. The organization is looking for its new director, a social entrepreneur able to lead the enterprise and achieve this growth.
PALMIS Enèji operates according to the social business principles as defined by the Professor Muhammad Yunus, (Nobel Peace Prize winner 2006): the profits made by the business are not paid in dividends but instead are exclusively dedicated to achieving social and/or environmental impact, reducing poverty and reinforcing the local economy and capacity.
The Director will be in charge of the overall development of PALMIS Enèji S.A.
She/he will have responsibility for achieving the following:
• Build, develop and implement the business model of the enterprise, ensuring that social and environmental objectives are met, whilst the social business remains financially viable;
• Ensure the direction and management of the company, supervise its commercial development and be in charge of its social responsibility;
• Ensure that the company operates according to the expectations of its clients, its Board of Directors and investors;
• Propose to the Board of Directors viable and sustainable strategic and organizational directions in order to provide the most vulnerable people with access to PALMIS Enèji’s products and services;
• Translate the company strategy into concrete operational action plans enabling it to achieve the strategic objectives;
• Develop the annual operational and capital budgets for approval by the Administration Board and ensure their monitoring;
• Manage the company funds according to the approved budget;
• Reinforce the marketing strategy in order to increase sales and adapt the products and services to clients’ needs;
• Continuously monitor and control the company profit and loss, cash flows, balance sheet and commercial performance;
• Contribute to the fund/capital raising in relation with stakeholders when required;
• Represent the firm before the local authorities and develop and maintain partnerships with the stakeholders.
The Director will have to report directly to the Board of Directors.
When taking his new role, the Director will have 17 staff under her/his direct responsibility.
The recruitment committee will only consider the application from persons willing to live or living in Haiti and willing to get involved in the local society in the long term (> 3 years). Candidates with Haitian nationality or with a residence permit are encouraged to apply.
Required professional skills:
• Business experience of more than 7 years, with at least 3 years in a management role within a commercial or industry company (strategic, operational and team management);
• Very good knowledge of the principles, objectives and challenges of the social entrepreneurship, the social and solidarity economy and socially responsible investment, coupled with a strong belief in their values;
• At least 2 years of professional experience in a developing country and proven ability to work on the ground (regular travel) in rural and suburban areas;
• Experience in raising funds (development of financing requests towards funders, capital raising among investors, related reporting);
• Ability and experience in the management of multidisciplinary teams (more than 10 persons);
• Very good command of French, English and ideally Haitian Creole: both writing and oral skills (clarity, synthesis, etc.)
• Experience in this sector (clean energy: solar, cookstoves, rural electrification…);
• Knowledge of microfinance;
• Knowledge of the challenges associated to the development and management of distribution chains in Haiti or environments similar to Haiti;
• Living experience in Haiti of at least 1 year.
Personal qualities required:
• Selfless, with a deep sense of common good, having empathy for her/his environment and naturally led to identify and solve social problems;
• Humble, curious and open-minded;
• Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills, able to listen to her/his collaborators, partners and all other stakeholders;
• Rigorous, dynamic, enthusiastic and organized;
• Strong ability to adapt, make conscious informed decisions and act pragmatically to tackle transversal issues;
• Demonstrate flexibility and tolerance in a complex and continuously evolving working environment;
• Analytical and diagnosis skills to properly assess situations and issues in order to define their significance, urgency and risks, and make clear and timely decisions to best serve the interest of the organization;
• Creativity and innovation to develop inclusive value and distribution chains, products and services aimed at improving living conditions of the most vulnerable persons.
• Masters or MBA in management, development economy, entrepreneurship, sustainable development, energy, environment.
Expected start date: January 4, 2016
Localization: Port-au-Prince (Clercine), Haiti
Contract length and type: Permanent contract
Remuneration: fixed salary plus bonus based on the achievement of the enterprise’s commercial and social objectives.
Documents to send:
– CV (maximum 4 pages).
– Cover letter only in English.
– A document written in French presenting your best professional achievement related to the current job offer (1 page).
To send with the following reference
« Directeur » to:
Applications that do not include any CV, cover letter or description of the best achievement will not be considered.
CV of more than 4 pages will not be considered.