South East Asia Senior Advisor
- Accion International
- South East Asia Region
- Job Type
- Contact Information
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Global Advisory Solutions:
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team provides experienced operational and management support to help build sustainable and scalable companies focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We strengthen our partners and maximize their impact by leveraging innovations in technology and financial services to lower costs and increase quality at scale.
GLAS is a global team of advisors with hands on experience and deep technical and managerial expertise in building and supporting a range of financial service providers (FSPs). We work with organizations in emerging markets across Latin America, Africa and Asia to help them plan, implement, scale and enhance technologies and business models that can reduce bottlenecks to and catalyze the growth of financial services. In addition to our advisory work with FSPs, we contribute to industry development through case study work and research, knowledge sharing, as well as training and capacity building activities.
GLAS is looking for a South East Asia Senior Advisor (‘Senior Advisor’) to represent Accion, manage relationships, and oversee investments and advisory services to our partners in the region. Working as part of a global, cross-functional team, s/he will understand the needs of our clients and advise them on the design and implementation of successful strategies and business models to drive customer growth and operational efficiency. The Senior Advisor will need to have strong business acumen, excellent relationship and project management skills, experience in financial inclusion and a strong working knowledge of the region.
In this position you will be a senior member of Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team, based in and overseeing GLAS’s investment and advisory services in the region. In this pivotal role, you will lead the expansion of key client and stakeholder relationships that represent opportunities to further Accion’s financial inclusion strategy. Serving as a thought partner to our clients’ senior management, you will provide advisory support in business and strategic planning to help our clients achieve their business goals. Key responsibilities include:
Relationship Management and Business Development
• Provide leadership, set clear direction and further develop and implement Accion’s strategy in South East Asia.
• Develop and nurture business contacts and client relationships to support Accion’s strategy in the region, including attracting human and financial capital.
• Represent Accion and serve as the main point of contact in collaborations with key stakeholders (local authorities, investors, etc.).
• Identify and pursue new funding relationships in the region, in coordination with Investments and Resource Development.
• Actively participate in conferences, discussion forums, and other knowledge sharing and networking spaces to promote Accion and be a thought leader for the region.
• Advise and support our investment officers during due diligences in the region when required, and provide them with a technical point of view on potential deals.
• Oversee the development and presentation of project proposals to clients and/or donors, including support to overall scope development, pricing and negotiation.
• Oversee investments and the delivery of management services to Accion’s partner organizations in South East Asia.
• Manage and support the implementation of GLAS service offerings to partners in the region, including:
o Understand client needs and coordinate advisory inputs from GLAS team; define project scopes and accurately set expectations to ensure client satisfaction
o Ensure projects are well staffed, funded, monitored and controlled to ensure successful completion and sustainability
o Communicate project progress, keeping team members and clients updated throughout all stages
o Assess outputs ensuring the highest standards of quality for clients; Ensure that projects translate to measurable outputs aligned with project and business goals
o Share project outputs and learnings across Accion throughout and at the close of each project
Serve as a thought partner to senior management and provide strategic advice to Accion’s partners in the region in key areas such as:
• Business and strategic planning:
o Develop overall growth strategy and/or strategies for specific products and services. Identify and prioritize business objectives, products, channels, potential partners, etc.
o Assess organizational capabilities, resources, and infrastructure to ensure the successful execution of the business strategy.
o Develop detailed business plan including market sizing, channels mix, pricing model, cost inputs, risks, financial projections, and scenario analysis.
• Change Management:
o Review organizational structure; recommend changes to reporting roles, and creation of new units based on required changes.
o Conduct leadership and skill gaps assessment, sample profiles and job descriptions for key roles; training and capacity building frameworks
o Coach and mentor senior management and facilitate their participation in global training and peer exchange opportunities with Accion and its network of partner financial institutions
• Graduate degree or its equivalent in any discipline. An MBA or any other related professional qualification is required.
• Generally 15 years of banking, insurance, microfinance, etc, experience. Experience in multi-functional roles within the financial services industry in emerging and/or low income markets preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years senior management experience within the financial services industry
• Strong working knowledge of the South East Asia region.
• Willingness to be based in the region (Myanmar, Singapore, etc.)
• Excellent client relationship development and management skills
• Strong business acumen, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with highest levels of management of financial institutions and their regulators
• Experience leading multifaceted and cross-functional project teams; Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, lead and motivate others and meet deadlines
• Experience in governance roles and/or experience working with governing bodies of FSPs
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; comfortable representing Accion and interacting with key diverse stakeholders (authorities, investors, management, etc.)
• Ability to think strategically and holistically and to appreciate the systemic impact of various policies, issues and solutions
• Knowledge and understanding of microfinance products and services
• English fluency required and proficiency in relevant local languages a plus
• Interested in our mission and working globally.
• Demonstrated commitment to Accion’s values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
• Ability to travel up to 40% of the time
• Interested in our mission and working globally.
• Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
Please apply directly online at https://jobs-accion.icims.com/jobs/1868/industry-engagement-summer-associate/job