Sr. Manager Business Development, Produce & Floral
- Fair Trade USA
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
As a member of the Business Development Produce & Floral team at Fair Trade USA, you will have one of the most meaningful, rewarding, and impactful jobs in the world of social enterprise!
We’re looking for a leader for our growing team who:
– Loves the idea of bridging business strategy with sustainable development focused on people and the planet
– Enjoys operating in an innovative, fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment
– Loves developing teams and seeing them thrive
– Understands how business works and how business-decisions are made, so we can figure out how a company can best fit Fair Trade into their business model
– Is quick-on-their-feet in developing mutually beneficial solutions
– Likes to deliver results
If that describes you, we’d love to meet!
Overview of position:
As the Senior Manager, Business Development of Produce & Floral, you will be responsible for increasing our positive impact on farming families and the environment by growing sales of Fair Trade Certified produce & floral. You will accomplish this by developing and executing sales strategies, managing top regional and national supermarket and brand accounts, creating and pitching marketing opportunities to clients, and leading our external marketing and communications approach with partners across our supply chains.
The Senior Manager will also be responsible for assisting the Produce & Floral department’s Director in developing long term strategies, annual operating plans, budgets and internal process improvement plans. The Senior Manager will manage and develop a team of one manager (as a direct report) and one Specialist (who reports to the manager).
It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, passionate for the mission, highly motivated, organized, a great communicator, quick learner, and self-starter. Most importantly, you work well with others, especially cross functions, & are a leader – taking initiative and willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to make us successful!
Much of this work will take place over email or phone, as well as during in-person meetings both domestically and internationally with external and internal clients. Domestic and international travel will be necessary 30-40% of the time.
Specific duties include:
– Drive the sales process from prospecting to close and manage resulting relationships with supermarket and brand accounts to grow sales of Fair Trade Certified produce and flowers, which may include cold calling, attendance at industry conferences, and making formal presentations to executives
– Help develop and execute team strategy, while supporting innovations in processes, standards, policies
– Manage existing retailer, brand and distributor accounts
– Problem solve with partners and colleagues
– Develop & manage the team’s Business Development Manager and support his management of a BD Specialist. Create professional development plans for your team and help them grow their experience and skills
– Support budget development & tracking
– Develop marketing strategy for produce & floral with support from FTUSA’s Marketing & Communications team and the BD team
– Provide key partners with marketing support appropriate for the size of the opportunity either independently or working with our in-house Marketing & Design team
– Maintain accuracy of partner & grower information in our database (Salesforce)
– Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, economics, finance, or international development. Advanced degree welcomed, but not required.
– 5-10 years of produce & floral industry experience &/or equivalent business development & sales experience
– Demonstrated ability to interact with everyone from senior level executives at fortune 100 businesses to farmworkers
– Domestic & international travel (~30-40%) is required
– Proficiency in Spanish required
– Developing world experience with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
– Exceptional customer service background, supported by outstanding oral and written communication skills
– Ability to think quickly: learn, adapt, and work autonomously, as well with teams
– Excellent negotiation and communication skills
– Creative problem solver
– Great attention to detail
– Must be able to prioritize work effectively, problem solve and handle detail-oriented projects in a systematic and highly organized manner
– Be outcome-oriented
– Proficient computer/internet skills such as: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Dropbox
– Prior experience working with a CRM system, such as Salesforce
Apply with CV and cover letter at http://fairtradeusa.org/about-fair-trade-usa/careers