State Program Manager
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you believe in an abundant world full of amazing people who want to help; in the simple human justice to build a life; and in doing a better thing, then read on!
The State Program Manager in East Darfur is the leader of the East Darfur team and is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the ARC programs in East Darfur. This is a key management position in the country program and a member of the Country Management Team/Senior Leadership Team.
This includes leading technical teams (sectors) in the development of sector plans/proposals; internally and externally coordinating sector activities; establishing and maintaining public relations with state authorities, UN agencies, other NGOs and implementing partners; coordinating management support, including resource allocations and utilization among sectors and administration and accounting for them; monitoring program implementation and reviewing plans as appropriate, managing all program staff, including performance management and staff development; coordinating the production of sector and program reports (ARC and donors) and reviewing/summarizing them for the Country Director; and ensuring program staff and assets are safe all the time.
Program Management & Development -25%
• With support of the Country Director (CD) and the Country Program Manager (CPM), articulate and share with staff a clear vision for the program in East Darfur. Share, with staff, strategic information on ARC global new developments.
• Supervise and coordinate staff activities and program implementation to ensure alignment with ARC’s program objectives, Humanitarian principles, line ministries and host government requirements.
• In collaboration with the CPM and program, promote overall program coherence, by ensuring that all projects meet program sector design standards, and have well-defined performance indicators and output monitoring mechanisms.
• Facilitate monthly cross-functional meetings to review progress made in implementation of program plans, budget spending (BvAs & GSPs) and management issues. Share minutes of meeting outcome with Country Director and senior management team.
• Analyze program implementation gaps and expedite resolution of critical program technical deficiencies, with support of the CPM and program sector coordinators.
• Review the M&E Field Monitoring Reports with program staff. Report corrective action taken to the Country MEAL Coordinator, ensuring closure of open issues within two months.
• Provide oversight of ARC local partner NGOs grant sub-recipients. Resolve issues and coordinate reporting with the Roving Partnership Manager and Finance Controller (FC).
• Coordinate, with the technical teams, the preparation of donor and internal reports in a timely manner, including production of Human Interest/Program Success Stories, as required.
• Collaborate with the CPM in the planning, coordination and facilitation of grants launch meetings.
• Ensure branding and visibility signage at project sites are in line with donor guidelines.
• Work closely with the Communication Manager and Grant and Business Development Coordinator (G&BDC) to design and produce presentation, promotional and communications material, on the profile of the program and operations in the State, for dissemination to internal and external audiences.
• Advise the Country Director on current and potential needs of refugee and IDP populations in East Darfur in appropriate sectors (i.e. Health, WASH, Shelter, Food Security, etc).
• Support the FM, CPM and FC, throughout the various stages of the proposal development process, by leading State teams in intelligence gathering, data collection, drafting of proposal narrative and budget sections, and providing timely responses to inquiries, as needed.
• Serve as the ARC representative in the field on program and operational issues, liaising with State government officials, INGOs, NGOs and UN agencies as directed by the Country Director.
• In coordination with ARC program sector heads, strengthen ARC’s technical relationships with relevant State Line Ministries and UN program sector leads (Health, Nutrition, WASH, etc.,) through regular meetings, consultations and updates on ARC programs.
• As directed by the CD, confer with State level donor representatives regarding potential funding shortfalls, project implementation delays, no-cost extensions, or new funding possibilities.
• Host/Attend UN/donor/GoS high-level delegation/representatives/
• Participate as a member of joint inter-agency needs assessment teams for potential new programs, or for routine joint field program monitoring, as directed by the CD.
Personnel Management – 20%
• Foster a work atmosphere that values accountability, results, staff recognition and well-being, innovation, continuous learning and modeling of ARC values, standards and operating principles. Directly supervise program staff in the field, providing regular performance feedback.
• Provide guidance to direct reports and other staff in preparation of Performance Plans and ensure completion of Performance Appraisals at end of fiscal year.
• In consultation with the CPM and HR Manager, support technical coordinators in development of program structure, identification of HR needs and preparation of individual job descriptions.
• Build technical and management capacity of staff in a proactive and strategic manner, through ongoing coaching, on-the-job assignments or formal training opportunities.
• Support the HR Officer in championing the ARC Chnagemakers’ innovative idea generation and collection process.
Operations Management – 20%
• Oversee the Finance, HR and Admin/Logistics functions, ensuring proper internal controls are in place and adherence to GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles), ARC policies and procedures, donor regulations, local labor and fiduciary laws.
• Update the CD on the current program, management and security situation, on a daily basis.
• In conjunction with the safety focal staff, ensure that ARC & UN Security Standard Operating Procedures are current and implemented. Ensure submission of Security Incident reports to the Country Operations Manager (COM), within 24hrs of the incident.
• Proactively lead teams in the preparation of Technical Agreements to enable timely State and Federal level approvals, minimize disruption of program implementation and expat field travel.
• Provide input for preparation of documentation for annual renewal of ARC Sudan INGO status Registration.
• Prepare and timely submit monthly cash projections and program cost share to the Khartoum Finance department, to enable adequate time for bank transfers.
• Ensure timely report submission to the COM: weekly Security Report, and monthly Procurement/Supply Chain Management, and Staff Movement reports for ARC HQs Dashboard.
• Monitor schedule for procurement of goods and services for programs and operations. Preside over the bidding process to ensure transparency and adherence to policies and procedures.
• Periodically review inventory of physical assets, including IT equipment, office supplies and drugs stocks, to ensure the records are updated, and timely replenishment and/or assets disposal.
• Prepare the Monthly Management Report for submission to the Country Director.
• Ensure timesheets are prepared with accurate donor codes and submitted to HR/Finance in time for processing of monthly payroll.
• Support the HR Officer in monthly tracking of staff leave balances, to enable proper scheduling of staff leave, and avoid accrual of excess leave days.
Strategic Planning & Execution – 15%
• As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, (SLT) actively participate in team development sessions, contribute to setting common goals, objectives and operating standards. Demonstrate commitment to and accountability for effective team performance.
• Collaborate in the development of the multi-year Country Strategy, Annual Country Management & Operations Plan. Provide input to Quarterly reports on progress, including on Risk Mitigation.
• Attend SLT meetings, remotely and in person; contribute to strategic decision-making.
Skills and Experience we are seeking:
• Over 5 years’ experience with an INGO in a management position in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
• University degree in the Social Sciences, International Policy or Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferable.
• Experience in managing a multi-sector program; proposal/grant writing, finance, budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation; conducting needs assessments.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and lead through influence, vertically and horizontally across functional and geographic boundaries.
• Strong representation, interpersonal and negotiation skills, in managing relations with donor, community representatives, and government authorities.
• Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff; through a participatory approach and in motivating and counseling staff working in a complex emergency environment.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution
• USAID/OFDA/UNHCR background preferred.
• Experience and/or knowledge of Sudan (history, politics, culture, etc.) and sensitive to issues involved in working in Sudan preferable.
• Excellent verbal and written communications, and presentation skills.
• Strong computer literacy; strong skills in Microsoft Office.
• Must be fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic a plus.
ARC/Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.