Storytelling and Digital Media Manager
- The Syria Campaign
- Europe, Middle East, East Coast US
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The STORYTELLING and DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER will be at the heart of creating campaigns and content that elevates the work of Syria’s heroes to millions around the world. We are looking for someone who thinks creatively, is a natural storyteller and deeply committed to shifting the narrative on Syria.
THE SYRIA CAMPAIGN
The Syria Campaign is a young, dynamic campaigning organisation combining the best elements of creative communication, digital mobilization, storytelling, and political analysis with the aim of supporting the demands of some of the most courageous frontline humanitarians and activists in the world.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups, such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported some of the bravest women in the world taking their ‘Freedom Bus’ across Europe. We’ve successfully campaigned to block Europe selling aviation fuel to the Assad regime, secured a UN resolution banning the trade in Syrian antiquities and supported Syrian humanitarians calling out the problems at the heart of the UN’s flawed aid operation. All this and much, much more.
We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. We support the medics that risk their lives to save others, the volunteer rescue workers who rush to the scene of bombs and the teachers who build schools in basements to make sure Syria has a future. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.
Right now we’re looking for a few all-stars to join our team. You don’t need to be an expert on Syria, we have that covered. You just need to feel driven by a deep sense of compassion for your fellow humans.
If the below are things that get you out of bed in the morning, we want to hear from you:
– Producing content that can stop the heart and move the mind
– Obsessively thinking about the internet and new ways to engage people
– Doing everything you can to build relationships with, and networks around, things you care about
– Being part of a tiny team and a start-up culture, doing whatever it takes to have impact on the biggest crisis of our time
– Working in solidarity with some of humanity’s heroes to get their voices into the world.
– Lead on the development of campaign or communication strategies
– Develop ideas for creative communications tactics and digital campaigns
– Identify and develop opportunities for partnerships with digital and traditional media
– We need someone who is absolutely determined to get Syrian voices heard — who can spot media opportunities by the hour and make things happen
– Work with our partners to identify stories and explore ways to tell them across a range of channels
– Train and support partners and civil society to tell their stories across digital, broadcast and print channels.
– Pitch content to mainstream and digital media to secure coverage for partners and the organisation.
– Commission Syrian and independent storytellers to gather impactful footage, information and stories
– Lead project teams to deliver rapid response digital campaigns
– Support members of the campaigns team to produce and deliver digital packages for their projects
– Direct, produce and edit video and audio for the organisation’s channels.
– Deliver creative products that breaks through the noise and reaches new audiences
– Develop and maintain strong relationships with Syrian partners, creative freelancers, digital media contacts and broadcast outlets.
– Actively contribute to the development of happy and productive work culture at TSC
– Manage campaigners, interns or temporary contractors as required
– Proven track record of delivering digital or media campaigns that have impact
– Proven track record of working with traditional and digital media outlets
– A strong news sense and ability to tell a story visually
– Ability to influence and persuade editors and commissioners
– Experience working in fast-paced high-risk challenging contexts.
– Experience of managing budgets and project teams to deliver specific projects
– Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure
– Arabic language is strongly preferred but not essential
– Ability to direct, produce and edit footage for news and to a deadline.
– Experience working with data to tell strong stories across a range of digital platforms
– Strong written English across a variety of formats [social, press releases, reports]
– Working relationships with online content platforms [Viral Thread, Now This etc]
– Experience delivering media or communication trainings
The job is remote and can be done anywhere in European, Middle Eastern or East Coast US time zones. We have small offices in New York, Beirut and London. Salary dependent on experience with generous holiday allowances.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds.
To apply, please submit an application through our website and include a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in the job and how your background has prepared you for this role: https://thesyriacampaign.org/
Closing date for applications is Monday 19 February at 10:00 GMT. We will consider applications before the closing date.