- Jacaranda Health
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Nikki Pascual-Serafica
About the Organization
Jacaranda Health is creating East Africa’s first truly sustainable and scalable maternal health service delivery organization. Our hospitals provide high-quality, respectful, and affordable care that is a fifth of the cost of other private providers. Our vision is big. We are working to improve quality of care throughout the region by setting up a global innovation laboratory, adapting and integrating the best clinical protocols, technologies, health information systems, and business approaches. We implement and evaluate cost-effective solutions for delivering respectful maternal healthcare in our own hospitals, and then work with partners to adapt and scale it throughout the region.
Currently, we run two maternity hospitals where we see over 2,000 clients a month, and we are partnering with several government hospitals to refine a model for improving quality of maternal healthcare in the public sector. We have big ambitions for 2016 and need help improving business sustainability, expansion planning, and work on our innovative programs.
Will you join us and help transform maternal and newborn health care in East Africa?
Jacaranda Health is in an exciting stage of growth, and looking for Summer Associates to support our business and clinical operations during the summer of 2016. We seek exceptional candidates who are enthusiastic about working in a start-up environment on the cutting edge of healthcare and business. The work program will be tailored to the associate, and we are open to candidates with backgrounds in business or health. Several potential projects include:
– Healthcare business operations: Find ways to improve our operations, quality control, and customer service to deliver a model of maternity care that is the world’s most cost-effective and patient-focused.
– Patient-centered design: Use the human-centered design tools of IDEO and other global design firms to help us understand our patients’ needs, design our clinic spaces, and improve client and nurse interactions.
– IT for clinical operations: Assessing our mobile health technology with smart phones and tablets, to improve clinician decision-making, connect with our clients, and leverage Kenya’s mobile banking infrastructure.
– Market analysis: We will be assessing opportunities for geographic expansion within and beyond Nairobi. We will need help analyzing client data, revisiting our customer segmentation, and evaluating the highest potential markets and services for our next clinics.
– New services: Help us evaluate and launch new lines of business, such as emergency transport, insurance products, or pediatric care.
Nairobi is an incredibly exciting place to work – a bustling economy and a global hotspot for social entrepreneurship and social investment. Associates will be exposed to a network of entrepreneurs spanning sectors: technology, agriculture, energy and health.
We have a dynamic cross-cultural team in our clinics and main office. Depending on the project, the Summer Associate would work with our Business Operations, Marketing, or Clinical Operations departments. Recent graduates could also convert this into a longer-term fellowship opportunity.
– Current student in a top-tier MBA or MPH program, or someone with 3-5 years professional experience and an interest in global health
– Highly resourceful, independent, and self-starting
– Flexible and easy-going enough to work in a fluid, cross-cultural startup environment in Nairobi
– Ability to communicate findings compellingly to colleagues and advisors
– Desired: experience working in East Africa or a similar setting
– First-hand experience building a health venture
– Learn about maternity experience and clinical challenges faced by low-income mothers in peri-urban areas
– Significant responsibility and independence
– Opportunities to meet and interact with the region’s top social entrepreneurs working fields like health, agriculture, economic development, and energy
– Full-time 12-week position based in Nairobi, Kenya
– Start date: Summer 2016 (positions may be available at other times of the year; please inquire for details)
– Jacaranda can offer a stipend for expenses and housing
Interested candidates may submit their applications via this link: https://jacaranda-health.workable.com/jobs/192101