Summer Associate 2017
- Quona Capital
- Washington, D.C.
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Quona Capital is a venture capital firm focused on financial technology for the unbanked. We back innovators enhancing the quality and availability of financial products and services for underserved consumers and enterprises through business model innovation, technology utilization and a passion for making a positive change in the world. Quona is focused on specific markets in Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa and leverages a strategic relationship with Accion International, a global leader in financial inclusion.
We are currently recruiting 2-3 Summer Associates who will be based in Washington, DC. The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting/management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on live deals or provide post-investment support to a portfolio company, and will work with the team to define a meaningful project and deliverable (e.g., sector report, market overview, portfolio support) to complete during the internship period.
The minimum length of the program is 10 weeks, with a target start date in May 2017. Stipends may be available in some cases.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Deal screening and investments: Support team on the identification and assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreens on companies, conducting background research, performing financial and strategy analysis, and collecting/analyzing diligence documents.
Portfolio support: Provide in-depth strategic and analytical support to investee enterprises.
Fund operations and strategy: Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices across the portfolio, and documenting learnings to be shared within Accion and externally.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including public policy, international development, or international relations degrees).
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
• Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics.
• Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
• Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
• Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
• Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets.
• Relevant experience in financial services, management consulting and/or VC/PE investing.
• Language skills beyond English.
• Eligibility to work in US preferred.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to HR@quona.com. Please include your name followed by “Quona Capital Summer Associate” in the subject line.