Summer Associates 2016 – Lima, Peru
- I-DEV International
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
I-DEV’s Summer Associate Program is designed to give young professionals, MBAs and other graduate students with traditional business experience exposure to emerging market business and finance, impact investing, social entrepreneurship, and BoP innovation. Summer Associates will receive approximately three months of immersion training into I-DEV’s unique business-based development approach, which focuses on addressing the financing gap at the “missing middle”, building market-based BoP businesses, sustainable economic development and development financing.
I-DEV is looking for up to 2- 3 Summer Associates for its office in Latin America (Peru) for 2016.
Summer Associates in I-DEV’s Latin American regional headquarters will work directly with I-DEV’s global management team and LatAm staff out of the Lima, Peru office and will be given the opportunity to work on deals and projects in both the Insight & Strategy Group and the Investment Advisory Group. As such, there will be considerable exposure to both “in-field” consulting and strategy projects working directly with local social enterprises and SMEs, as well as deal-based transaction structuring and helping clients raise capital with the global financial services team. Recent work in our Latin American office has included:
• $15M capital raise for an innovative tech-focused chain of schools focused on low-middle income families in Peru
• Development of sustainable investment strategy for global environmental conservation agency working in the Northern Peruvian jungle region
• On-the-ground mapping of the Colombian impact investment and social enterprise sectors and pipeline development for a leading global impact investment fund
• In-depth market analysis, due diligence and financing strategy advisory in the clean energy sector in the Andean region (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia) for an international public-private development organization
The Summer Associate may also have opportunities to travel for projects throughout the region and potentially globally.
I-DEV International (www.idevinternational.com) is a global management strategy and financial advisory firm with offices in San Francisco (Global Headquarters), Peru (LatAm Regional Headquarters) and Kenya (African Regional Headquarters). Via its Insight & Strategy Group and its Investment Advisory Group, I-DEV helps to grow and finance competitive, viable businesses and industries in emerging markets worldwide.
Over the past 6 years, I-DEV has developed a strong reputation recognized by its clients for being “one of the most innovative and exciting organizations in the impact investing and social enterprise sectors” and “a unique combination of grassroots development, hard-nosed business and savvy 2.0 smarts”. In that time, the firm has built a network of clients and partners that includes 80+ impact and emerging market investment funds (with over $10 billion in combined committed capital), Fortune 500 corporations, high impact, local SMEs and enterprises, and leading foundations and development organizations.
I-DEV’s specific services are described below:
Insight & Strategy Group:
• Management and growth strategy consulting for local SMEs and social enterprises
• Portfolio company performance improvement and turnaround consulting for impact investors
• CSR/impact strategy consulting and impact sector partnership development for global corporations
• Supply chain and distribution channel strategy consulting for global corporations, local SMEs & social enterprises
• BoP market analysis and penetration strategy consulting for global corporations, local SMEs & social enterprises
Investment Advisory Group:
• Sell-side investment structuring & sourcing for local SMEs and social enterprises in emerging markets (including debt, equity & hybrid mezzanine transactions)
• Buy-side pipeline development, investment sourcing, due diligence and structuring for emerging market & impact investment funds (including debt, equity & hybrid mezzanine transactions)
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
• Master’s degree in business, finance, international relations, and/or MBA degree
• Significant prior working experience in finance, VC/PE, investment banking and/or strategy consulting
• Experience with financial modeling strongly preferred
• Strong understanding of business in emerging markets, BoP development, impact investing and social enterprise
• Advanced Spanish is important and part of the interview process may be conducted in Spanish
• Prior experience in Latin America a plus
The interview process will test strong candidates on critical thinking, financial modeling, business skills, language, and general fit. All candidates should be self-starters who are comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and be independent, out-of-the-box thinkers who are also comfortable representing I-DEV International and its mission in a professional setting (as there will be significant client exposure).
The Summer Associate position is unpaid, however, most graduate schools have funding programs for summer positions at socially responsible entities. I-DEV is happy to provide documentation to universities that offer financial support as needed. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by I-DEV.
Send a cover letter and resume with Subject Title “Summer Associate 2016 (LatAm)” to firstname.lastname@example.org