Summer Associates 2016 – I-DEV Africa Regional Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya
- I-DEV International
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
I-DEV’s Summer Associate Program is designed to give young professionals, MBAs and other graduate students with traditional business experience exposure to emerging markets venture capital, SME growth strategy and finance, impact investing, social entrepreneurship, and BoP innovation. Over the 10 week internship, Summer Associates will receive significant experience working on live deals in both the Insight & Strategy Group and the Investment Advisory Group. This will include VC level capital raises, M&A and exit transactions, and growth strategy development for local SMEs and social enterprises.
I-DEV’s Nairobi Office currently has a team of 8, including I-DEV’s Global Managing Director, and is looking for 2-3 Summer Associates for 2016. Summer Associates in I-DEV’s East Africa regional headquarters will work directly with I-DEV’s global management team and Africa staff and will be given the opportunity to work on deals and projects in both the Insight & Strategy Group and the Investment Advisory Group. As such, there will be considerable exposure to both “in-field” consulting and strategy projects working directly with local social enterprises and SMEs, as well as deal-based transaction structuring and helping clients raise capital with the global financial services team. Recent work in our African office has included:
• Sole-Sell Side Advisor for a Series Seed round of $1.5M for Kenyan m-commerce enabled B2B distribution company
• Advising the World Bank on its market-based sustainable energy strategy for refugee camps across Sub-Saharan Africa (power, lighting, cooking and fuels)
• East Africa market penetration and growth strategy for leading South African clean energy company
• Sole-Sell Side Advisor on $4M capital raise & Pan-African expansion strategy for largest branded beverage company in Burkina Faso
• Analysis and entry strategy for developing leading cold chain infrastructure business in East Africa
The Summer Associate may also have opportunities to travel for projects throughout the region.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
• Master’s degree in Business/Finance or MBA degree obtained or ongoing
• Significant prior working experience in finance, VC/PE, investment banking and/or strategy consulting
• Experience with financial modeling strongly preferred
• Strong understanding of business in emerging markets, BoP development, impact investing and social enterprise
• Prior experience in Africa a plus
The interview process will test strong candidates on critical thinking, financial modeling, business skills, and general fit. All candidates should be self-starters who are comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and be independent, out-of-the-box thinkers who are also comfortable representing I-DEV International and its mission in a professional setting (as there will be significant client exposure).
I-DEV International (www.idevinternational.com) is a global management strategy and financial advisory firm with offices in San Francisco (Global Headquarters), Peru (LatAm Regional Headquarters) and Kenya (African Regional Headquarters). Via its Insight & Strategy Group and its Investment Advisory Group, I-DEV helps to grow and finance competitive, viable businesses and industries in emerging markets worldwide. Generally, I-DEV works with local SMEs and social enterprises that range between $500,000 and $30 million in revenues with a focus on Tech/e-Commerce/m-Commerce, Clean Energy, Sustainable Agriculture, and Textiles, Fashion & Apparel.
Over the past 6+ years, I-DEV has developed a strong reputation recognized by its clients for being “one of the most innovative and exciting organizations in emerging markets venture capital and impact investing sectors” and “a unique combination of grassroots development, hard-nosed business and savvy 2.0 smarts”. In that time, the firm has built a network of clients and partners that includes 100+ emerging market and impact investment funds (with over $10 billion in combined committed capital), Fortune 500 corporations, high impact, local SMEs and enterprises, and leading foundations and development organizations.
I-DEV’s specific services are described below:
Insight & Strategy Group:
• Management and growth strategy consulting for local SMEs and social enterprises
• Portfolio company performance improvement and turnaround consulting for impact investors
• CSR/impact strategy consulting and impact sector partnership development for global corporations
• Supply chain and distribution channel strategy consulting for global corporations, local SMEs & social enterprises
• BoP market analysis and penetration strategy consulting for global corporations, local SMEs & social enterprises
Investment Advisory Group:
• Sell-side investment structuring & sourcing for local SMEs and social enterprises in emerging markets (including debt, equity & hybrid mezzanine transactions)
• Buy-side pipeline development, investment sourcing, due diligence and structuring for emerging market & impact investment funds (including debt, equity & hybrid mezzanine transactions)
The Summer Associate position is unpaid; however, most graduate schools have funding programs for summer positions at socially responsible entities. I-DEV is happy to provide documentation to universities that offer financial support as needed. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by I-DEV.
Send a cover letter and resume with Subject Title “Summer Associate 2016 (East Africa)” to email@example.com