Summer Digital Marketing and Business Development Fellow
- Jacaranda Health
- Durham, NC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Submit your CV and cover letter to the link provided
- Where to Apply
Seeking a talented summer fellow for digital marketing and partnerships to expand a service to help pregnant and postpartum mothers during COVID.*
Context: The COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant impact on maternal health in the US, and pregnant and postpartum women have faced a constantly evolving set of challenges: Access to primary care services has been reduced, anxiety about visiting hospitals and clinics has increased, and isolation and uncertainty have impacted mental health. At the same time, income shocks have hit vulnerable families as millions of people are laid off and lose health insurance.
About Us: In response to this crisis, Jacaranda Health, a NC-based nonprofit, launched COVID Moms Helpline last month to support pregnant and postpartum women navigating the changing healthcare and economic landscape during COVID-19. Covidmoms.org is a free chat line to which pregnant women and new mothers can text or message any question about pregnancy or postpartum care and COVID and get connected to local maternal health educators and experts for an immediate, informed response or connection to resources. We have seen demand from hundreds of moms in our first few weeks, and are working to build partnerships to quickly reach as many women as possible. We have launched the service in North Carolina and are in discussions with partners about expanding to other states.
Jacaranda Health is an award-winning global health nonprofit based in Durham, NC, with a decade of experience improving maternal healthcare. We run a digital health platform in Kenya which has supported over 150,000 pregnant mothers, and includes outbound messaging content, machine learning to help triage and flag urgent questions, and a helpdesk where any mom can reach out for rapid information about her health or the health of her baby. In response to the COVID pandemic, we decided to adapt our experience from Kenya to support pregnant and postpartum women in the US.
We are seeking a summer fellow who can help us reach more mothers in need, faster and more effectively. This will be an exiting and fast-paced role in a startup environment with experienced peers to learn from, and an opportunity to build your experience around digital marketing, public health, and business development.
• You are available to commit full-time to June through late-August – preferably full time but for someone with the right skills this could be a part-time work. You can be based anywhere.
• Passion for addressing maternal health issues and health disparities in the US.
• Demonstrated experience with social media marketing, strategy, and platforms
• You are excited to roll up your sleeves to expand a platform with immediate positive impact on new and postpartum mothers.
• You are comfortable working with remote teams
• You have extraordinary organizational and/or project management skills
The primary goal of this position is to help us reach more moms in, more effectively, with better content. This will include the following responsibilities:
• Manage our Facebook page to increase visibility, including content creation and strategy.
• Use data, analytics, and human centered design to understand the needs of the moms we serve; design tools and surveys to improve our effectiveness at reaching moms who need help.
• Help manage ad campaigns to reach more mothers, through FB ad manager and organic channels
• Explore other channels and partnerships: news media, Instagram, local nonprofits and state-level organizations.
• Assist in building partnerships in new geographies and states.
• Help with grant funding proposals to support expansion of the service.
• This is an unpaid fellowship opportunity.
• Work with an experienced Jacaranda Health team in the US and Kenya, including a team of amazing helpline maternal health specialists and volunteers.
• Opportunity to contribute your time and talent to meaningfully impact maternal and newborn health during this critical time
• Excellent exposure to startup health system innovation.