Talent, Senior Associate (Benefits)
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Contact Information
TALENT, SENIOR ASSOCIATE (BENEFITS)
The Talent team at Acumen is looking for an innovative, kind, gutsy problem solver with 4 – 6 years’ experience to join our small but mighty team in New York City. In year one, you’ll be focused on reassessing our US benefit package, while maintaining excellent service of our current offering. You’re organized, accountable, responsive, and can empathize with how employees experience our services.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services offer important opportunities to people living in poverty. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 270 million lives by investing $115M in 113 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t just about capital, we’ve been investing in relationships for years… connecting with emerging leaders in their own countries and engaging them in extended collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building. We’re a vibrant, healthy, inclusive network of overlapping communities.
Acumen now has ~130 people. The systems, structures, and practices built when we were ~80 will not properly support ~160+, which is where we’re headed in 2020. This mild modernization project must be accomplished on a nonprofit budget. Our ultimate purpose is to serve people living in poverty… losing the plot is not an option.
Your role largely centers around benefits and PEO in the US and UK—the providers we use and the packages we offer. While you’re onboarding people and connecting them to our systems and their benefits… you are also wondering: how we can improve this experience for employees? Is there something simpler, more user-friendly, and cost effective?
Maintain excellent service of our current offerings
• Serve as primary liaison between US and UK employees and our outsourced payroll and HR administrative services provider (PEO) and benefit providers
• Explain our current set of benefits to employees—from health insurance to 401K to our parental leave program—show them how to enroll and be available to answer questions and make connections
• Manage yearly benefits enrollment
• Administer our parental leave program
• Manage relationships with all US and UK vendors regarding PEO and benefits and keep informed of any changes in legislation impacting benefits and the implications for the organization
• Track and report important monthly and annual data to Talent Director
Help rethink our benefits offering
• Understand Acumen’s growth trajectory, employee needs (they are our users!), and cost constraints
• Work with Talent Director, outside broker, and a volunteer, employee benefits committee to investigate and vet new options
• Help plan for and execute any transition, no matter how small
Onboarding and offboarding
Though your role largely centers on PEO and benefits, it makes sense for you to own many—but not all— pieces involved in onboarding and offboarding.
• Send offer letters to new hires and keep our offer letter templates up to date
• Own and manage many aspects of welcoming new team members—from welcome emails to paper work to scheduling them for orientation—and make sure they have a smooth transition in and out of the organization
• Own and manage offboarding and exit interviews, including any employee relations issues that may arise
• 4 – 6 years’ experience with Talent or benefits or serving people at an organization of any size (bonus if it’s an organization of ~160+ ~200 people)
• Strong written and spoken communication skills
• Good with people and an eye for the employee experience
• Very well organized with attention to detail
• Can balance confidentiality and transparency
• Authorized to work in the United States
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
• Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values.
• Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and weather the tests of a changing environment
• A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a healthy, nonprofit compensation package.
Please submit a resume and responses to the following questions here: https://bit.ly/2OKluy8
1. Managing talent systems and benefits is work that needs to be done at a wide variety of companies. Why would you like to do this work for Acumen? (MAX 150 words)
2. Share an employee-facing project that you’ve worked on: what set of questions were you tasked with answering, what results or solutions did your analysis yield? (MAX 200 words)
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline for application is November 29th, 2018.