- IDH Trade
- Utrecht, Netherlands
- Job Type
- Full-time contract
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- nterested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/132341/apply
- Where to Apply
Are you the go-to person regarding technology solutions? Do you get energy from working with different internal and external stakeholders? Do you have 5+ years’ experience in technology consulting or industry experience? If yes, then join the IDH as a Tech Specialist – Agriculture Value Chains.
By using digital technologies and data, IDH program teams are creating additional value for our partner companies by increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of smallholder engagement. As the Tech Specialist-Agriculture Value Chains, you are the go-to person for IDH staff to identify and define technology solutions that address key challenges in cash and food crop value chains such as cocoa, coffee, tea, cotton, palm oil, soy, spices, cassava, fruits, and nuts. Solutions may include domains such as supply chain traceability, financial services, farmer & farm management solutions, and technologies such as remote sensing, digital financial services, blockchain, & IoT. You will support IDH investments by doing market research and providing actionable insights. You are responsible to keep the easy to use internal tech knowledge base up to date.
You will be part of a small tech team and bigger learning and innovation team. You will work closely with our program teams, Farmfit team, external partners and knowledge partners. You are reporting to the Senior Manager of Learning and Innovation-smallholder inclusion.
Who is IDH
IDH Sustainable Trade Initiative convenes companies, CSOs, governments, and others in public-private partnerships. Together we drive the joint design, co-funding, and prototyping of new economically viable approaches to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating a positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. IDH is supported by multiple European governments (Dutch, Swiss, Danish, Norwegian) and we work together with over 500 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 11 sectors and 11 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide. IDH is a dynamic and demanding organization of about 190 staff members and consultants at the HQ in Utrecht, the Netherlands and several overseas offices and hubs in South America, Asia and Africa.
Mainstreaming of sustainable trade requires companies, civil society and government to innovate together, develop new business models and forge new supply chain collaborations. The IDH Learning & Innovation team supports this transformation drive by organizing strategic research, prototyping innovations, and promoting learning with the program partners. We collect knowledge and best practice, we design innovations, we initiate research into critical challenges, and we develop metrics for performance management and strategic decision-making. To strengthen its Learning and Innovation team, IDH is recruiting a Tech Specialist to focus on agriculture value chains.
Core job functions
Strengthen the technology know-how within IDH
– Conduct market research on emerging technologies, and assess their impact (opportunities and threats) on agriculture value chains originating in Africa, South Asia, and Latin America.
– Build qualitative and quantitative models to assess technology options, and estimate benefits and costs for implementation
– Create, update & clean the IDH tech database that contains use cases and technology solution providers in agriculture value chains focusing on Africa, South Asia, and Latin America.
– Regularly follow the tech companies, tech projects, trends and research to keep the database relevant for internal use.
– Support the creation of technology insights through the development of insights notes, organization of webinars, events, etc.
Provide technology solution support for IDH partners
– Assist IDH program teams and their partners in identifying the best technologies and tech providers in a specific situation and geography.
– Participate in meetings with senior business and technology leaders of IDH partner companies to understand business challenges and priorities, and discuss potential technology solutions and partnerships.
– Solve business problems and enable new business opportunities for IDH partners by conducting ideation, value chain mapping, gap analysis, and solution development
– Provide services to IDH partners in identifying and creating business, functional, and technical requirements related to tech solution implementation in agriculture value chains.
Provide support in investing in tech companies and technologies that benefits smallholders and planet
– Support the Farmfit Fund management team by building a pipeline of technology investments
– Conduct technology due diligence for the Farmfit Fund investments and for IDH program funding proposals with a focus on social and financial returns
What will make you successful?
You will be successful as a Tech Specialist within IDH if you are an all-round communicator who is equally comfortable discussing technology details with engineers as you are actively listening to our businesses and users. In your work, you are able to think deeply about technology product design and usability’s and translate them into a manner that appeals to a wide audience. You are used to working with various stakeholders, senior managers, and executive clients. You get energy from working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment like IDH. Where you meet your deadlines and where you are effectively prioritizing your workload. You like to actively solve problems and use your troubleshooting skills while exercising a mature judgment.
– A master or bachelor degree in IT, Computers, Finance, Business, Agriculture, Engineering or other relevant disciplines;
– 5+ years of relevant technology consulting or industry experience. With 2 to 3 years’ experience in implementing technology solutions in agricultural value chains (preferably in Africa/South Asia/ Latin America);
– Familiarity with more than one of the following: Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Technology, Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Internet of Things, Mobile Apps, Mobile Payments, and Cloud;
– You are based in the Netherlands or should have permission to work in the Netherlands.
– A dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team;
– A chance to contribute to positive global change;
– A full-time position for an initial period of one year, with the possibility of extension;
– A gross monthly salary between 3300-4000 euro (based on 40 hours per week) depending on seniority and experience and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org
For questions about this position, please contact Jayadeep Akkireddy, Senior Manager-Learning & Innovation, at +31 (0)6 50067011.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 2nd of June 2019.
Is this not your dream job? Sharing this vacancy with your network is highly appreciated.
IDH is committed to a diverse workforce that is representative, at all our job levels.