Technical and Quality Manager
- Kampala, Uganda
- Job Type
- Contact Information
Job Description: Title: Technical and Quality Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Engineer in coordination with Uganda Country Director
Start date: April 2018 (or ASAP)
Jibu is a social enterprise pioneering a powerful new model that provides opportunities for entrepreneurs in underserved, emerging market communities to own businesses that ensure access to basic human necessities, with water as an anchor product. Jibu has scaled a network of locally owned, financially independent and self-sustaining franchises that provide safe drinking water to their communities while offering life-changing training and employment. Driven by a belief in the power of eye-to-eye partnership to unleash latent entrepreneurial talent, Jibu is transforming the challenge of addressing basic human needs into an expansive opportunity that allows thousands of entrepreneurs to build lasting solutions, one neighborhood at a time. The company’s ultimate vision is to train, finance, and grow a network of co-invested business owners who will revolutionize the way critical resources participate in emerging markets. For additional information, please visit: http://jibuco.com/
The Successful Candidate:
Jibu is looking for a talented, experienced, adventurous scientist ready to commit a minimum of two years to contributing to a rapidly growing company making a meaningful social difference.
He or she will be:
• A leader who has demonstrated success managing a diverse group of people and challenges.
• A self-starter able to think critically and problem solve on the fly.
• Able to design and implement quality control processes.
• An excellent communicator able to effectively inspire, grow and manage a team of local technicians and local production managers to properly maintain equipment.
• A natural teacher with a passion for capacity building.
• Knowledgeable about water treatment systems and basic chemistry
• Flexible and willing to travel.
• Proactive and able to anticipate issues, while able to perform routine maintenance and emergency repair to water treatment equipment – including but not limited to; general plumbing, centrifugal pumps, peristaltic dosing pumps, ultrafiltration membranes, and process control equipment.
• A strong contributor to the Jibu Uganda leadership team in strategic planning, team development, management of regulatory requirements, etc.
The position will be based in Uganda and will work directly with the operations staff as a member of the in-country corporate support team at the direction of the Country Managing Director. Jibu currently operates in urban environments that meet basic infrastructure needs such as housing, transportation, water, electricity, etc.
Frequent travel throughout East Africa and potentially other African nations will be required for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Jibu Uganda duties include:
• Manage technicians and technical team
• Oversee the installation, maintenance and trouble-shooting of water treatment systems
• Ensure compliance with local regulating standards
• Develop and improve Jibu technical training and operator certification programs
• Other technical tasks
2. Regional duties include:
• Support Chief Engineer in the development of new products such as fortified porridge, 20L tap bottles, or re-usable seals
• Support the development of new systems such as water treatment systems, packaging machines, remote monitoring systems, and IT infrastructure
• Support the development of new or improved processes such as quality control and assurance processes in coordination with local regulators
• B.S. Degree / Diploma in Engineering or equivalent program
• At least two years of work experience in a technical field
• At least one year of work experience that involves teaching or training technicians or professionals
• Perfect English language skills
• Cultural knowledge and experience working in an emerging market context preferable.
• Some East African languages preferable.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Send resumes and statements of interest and experience to email@example.com